Breeding after babies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strevale

How long after weaning should we wait before letting a male back into her cage? Also, when do you retire females from breeding?

I put females back into breeding 1-2 weeks after weaning if they haven't lost a lot of weight nursing the kits. Each chin is different for retiring. When they stop breeding or have a birthing issue or if I get a better female they get retired.

I judge by the female and how she looks. Could be right away, could be a few weeks later. Some slow breeders I allow open while they have kits, as typically they won't breed back for me and only produce 1 litter a year.

As for retiring it depends. I don't mind if a female only gives me one litter a year--so I don't retire for lack of production. If she looks worn out, looks like she isn't handling raising the kits as good as she used to, etc I will pull her and retire her. If she starts having complications, i'll retire her. It all depends on the female in question.

Back