Breaking New chins bad habits. Tips?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcdnchinx

I recently rescued a white mosaic chin, who wasnt well treated. When i pet him through the bars of his cage he nips. I usually use a firm "no" and he stops. Does anyone have any tips for correcting this behaviour?:hmm:

Almost everybody knows you don't stick your fingers through the cage bars. I don't think they can even see your finger and they think they have a treat. Just open the cage door and if he still bites post again.

no fingers through the cage bars--they do expect it to be a treat, which may be how his former owner gave him a treat. I would do as Theresa says and open the door for a pet or scritch and to give a treat.

Honestly, I don't have a problem petting my chins through the cage bars. I've never once been nipped, just had nibbled fingernails, which they do regardless of whether they're in the cage, door open, closed, or out of the cage.

Your chin may not be comfortable with you yet, and is defending himself the only way he can: biting. Gain your chins trust first, and then the biting habit may go away. Or, you may just have a nibbler.

And those of you saying "Don't pet through the cage" can't say they're not guilty of giving a scritch or two through the bars. :neener: Well, I dunno about Theresa, but I know Laurie's guilty of it.

Only Leonard takes a scritch so no scritching through the bars from me! I do give treats through the bars though, which is why all my chins they they are getting something. I'd love to have chins that like scritches lol!

All my guys accept scritches through the bars and yes I give them treats that way too. I do have one foster I CAN NOT stick my fingers through the bars with. He has nailed me good a couple of times. He is also real grabby with treats. I suspect he has had some bad past experiences either with a previous owner or at the shelter he spent a lot of time at. It is like he has been teased or something. He is fine if I open the door and loves scritches. I've just learned to keep my hands away from the bars.

Ditto to what Ash said. Give him time to get use to you.

You can also gently blow at his face when he does until he stops, this should help.

Well I know better then to stick my fingers at certain chins, and when I'm visiting others. Sammy will draw blood and smile every time.

Almost everybody knows you don't stick your fingers through the cage bars. .

That was just plain rude. I am asking advice not criticism if thats the way you reply then you can keep your opinons to yourself!!:impatient:

To the others, thank you for your tips

and BY THE WAY. i do have chins that like scritches THROUGH the bars.:)

That was just plain rude. I am asking advice not criticism if thats the way you reply then you can keep your opinons to yourself!!:impatient:

To the others, thank you for your tips

and BY THE WAY. i do have chins that like scritches THROUGH the bars.:)

I didn't think it was rude. It is the truth...if you put your finger in front of a rodents mouth you are likely going to get bit. It is the nature of the beast. And the joy of freedom of speech no one needs to keep their opinions to themselves. Anyone can post to your threads with their opinions. And frankly it is advice.

If you don't want to get bit by this chinchilla that bites when you put your fingers through the bars stop putting your fingers through the bars. Animals will be animals it is wiser to change our behaviors then to try to force an animal to change their instinctual behaviors

I wasn't trying to be rude, you asked for help. Look at the chins eyes....they are on the side of his face not more in front like ours. They cannot see your finger right in front of their face. And btw I do have a issue with the title of your post "Breaking new chin bad habits" You can't train a chin by yelling NO! at it. It stopped biting you because usually they only bite once, not because you yelled at him. You are the one who needs to break bad habits, not the chin. I am not saying this to fight, I just want a good relationship for you and the chin

Maybe i misunderstood your post. I do enjoy the advice here though, it is very informative.
I would like to clear up that i never "yell" at my pets, i just said the word "no".
I do agree with changing your own behaviour rather then expecting the animal too, that was not my intention. I have only had 2 chinchillas, with both different personalities, hence why i wrote here in the first place for advice.

Back