Brand New Chin Owner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimmidwife

Hi, We purchased a chinchilla 2 weeks ago. We are totally in love with her. She is so sweet and adorable. We are having one issue with her. Her poop is very squishy. We read online to take her food away and just give her hay for 48 hours but it did not really improve it. We took her to the vet for a stool culture and it was negative. We are only giving her filtered water. she also does not seem to want to chew a lot. she barely chews on her wooden blocks or her lava rock. we are not giving her any treats. We are trying to switch her to that mazuri chinchilla food. I finally found a place that sells it but it is a little far away. I am hoping to go tomorrow to get it.

Hello and Welcome.

CnH forum is a great resource for info.

Your little girl is getting used to her new environment. I know from the forum that if you change their pellets it has to be gradual. I'm sure some of the experienced member can help you out with this.

Our chin was supposed to be an overnight guest to watch for my son and she is now a permanent resident. I wasn't prepared with enough information in the beginning because she was a surprise pet.

When Lola came to us she was on Kaytee with all the snacks in it and the first thing we did was switched her over to the best pellets we could find which was Oxbow. Because I didn't know about the forums then we did a quick switch. Thank goodness she was ok. I've learned alot since she came to us.

This is a great place to get information when you have questions.

Congratulations

Welcome to the forum!

If her culture was negative, it could just be stress causing the soft poo. Unless the food she is eating now is just something terrible, I'm not sure I would do a food switch while she is already having digestive upset.

What food are you currently feeding her? And did you buy her from a breeder, store or individual? Has she had the soft poo the entire time you've had her or only after she had been with you for a few days? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out what the problem could be.

I've had success firming up soft poo's with unsweetened shredded wheat. I buy the box of bite sized shredded wheat and give one in the morning and one in the evening and it usually resolves any soft poo within a day.

Hi all,
We bought her from a pet store, yes I know you shouldn't buy animals form those places, but we were looking to buy a chinchilla for several months already and we walked into petsmart and there she was so adorable I could not say know to the kids. She is four months old and just adorable. We went up to a specialty animal store yesterday. And showed them her poop. They said to switch to the mazuri food and start giving her a probiotic. We started mixing the old food with the new so we can switch her gradually and already today there is an improvement. Her poops are firmer. She is just such a cutey. Today when I opened the cage she jumped right into my arms!

Welcome! I am glad you are enjoying your new friend and are seeing improvement with the poo situation already.

And by the way, pet stores are fine. I don't think anyone would disagree that every animal deserves a good home. I am glad she has found one with you. :)

There is nothing wrong with a petstore chin (IMO). My first chin is from PetSmart and she is FABULOUS!

Congrats

Congrats on your first chin. Be warned, they are addictive.;)

Back