Bonding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euphoric

I had 2 males living together happily for a year. Valentine (White mosaic) was the dominant chin to Casanova (black velvet) who is very relaxed, shy (He even likes to be held)

I got a male beige Romeo, and after intros they were all living happily in a FN 142 for the past weeks (like 4 weeks)

Now all of a sudden Valentine seems to be chasing Casanova..not even romeo.

I thought Casanova was just shedding, but now I see he is slipping fur. They chase, but it is getting pretty bad from what I have ever seen.

So I divided the cage so Casanova and Romeo were in one level, and Valentine by himself. I tried introducing them again, but it went bad.
Then Romeo wouldn't move, so I just housed Romeo and Valentine in 1 level and they did fine.

So its obviously Casanova and Valentine..which is wierd because they were bonded before this and always got along.

What can I do to introduce them again? Should I try taking Romeo out and seeing how casanova and valentine work?

I just don't want to get anyone hurt.

The two males who are fighting should not be put back together. It doesn't matter that they were once friends. Once chins start to turn on one another it doesn't stop.

So I would leave the one separate from the other two and not worry about putting them back together. Because you never know when they'll continue to fight and fight to the death.

They are not aggresivly fighting, just chasing.
they have been in their playpen getting along fine (I put them in there before reading this)
Is it just the cage?

I thought Casanova was just shedding, but now I see he is slipping fur. They chase, but it is getting pretty bad from what I have ever seen.

Yes, Allison is right, this can get much worse quickly. Exactly what happened with my two older boys and I first thought just as you did, but then one night after a bad chase, one chin ran into a hidey house to escape and the other was ready to charge in there and there were lots of noises I never heard before. I ran to the cage and got the aggressor out probably just in time. The scary thing too is that this happened in the middle of the night and had I not been up doing housework, who knows what could have happened.

Well, I seperated but still giving out of cage time together, (supervised) where they get a long just fine.
I definatley don't want anything bad going, and I wish I could get a video. When I bonded, I never had any of the problems most people had. I had literally SOME chasing, but nothing ever serious like i have seen posted. So this is all odd to me.
AND I ran out of dust bath due to my rabbit tipping over the container I keep it in, so there is no dust bath bonding.
Right now Valentine is by himself and Casanova and Romeo are together. I have no problem if this is permenent, it just makes me so sad!

its like mine, They seem to hit it off good was restin on each other then one turned on the other an even in play time chase and fight so i've had to half the cage

Well mine where together for over a year though..I know it can just happen but it just seems odd to me.
They are still getting out of cage time together. Hopefully I can bond them back together, but if there is even a slight sign of aggression, I won't.

Sometimes clipping the whiskers short helps with aggression in chins. It can completely change the relationship that two chins have in a split second because it often changes their personalities so drastically.

Where do you buy your dustbath? I may be able to save you some money on that...I think you said you were in Phoenix. :)

I don't know how I forgot about that! Its 1/2 inch clipped right?

And yes I am in desperate need of dust! I had bought like a 50lb bulk bag ages ago from online..

I found some fur chewing on Casanova, so they have been split up for what will be "permenent" meaning I am going to give them a couple months alone, then try bonding again.
I do realize it may never work, but at least I tried. I don't mind putting the effort into it.
Casanova is still in with Romeo, but there is no signs of aggression.

Back