Bonded Males, lost one :-( HELP!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brinfe

We had a bonded male pair until Christmas Eve this year. :cry3: Merlin, our 1st pet together almost 7 years old, passed away and the other boy, Bear, is devastated. Merlin was a pet store chinchilla and has had a rough life, medically, because of it. At first, all Bear did was bark when we tried to pet him or get him out of the cage. He is better now but obviously still moppy and lost without his buddy.

Is it possible for a male chin to lose interest in breeding after awhile? Bear will be turning 7 years old this year too. I have a female chin, about 5 years old, that would love a cagemate but I am not interested in breeding. Hoping that their libido might go away if it isn't used after awhile...this may be me trying to be glass half full :shrug:

Still in a fragile state from loosing Merlin but just want the best for all my chins. Not interested in getting another chin so guess the other options would be to neuter Bear or get him a chinchilla shaped cuddle buddy. Advice?

Any chin can breed at any age. Your male may be just fine if you give him a little time for grieving. Don't put them together just because you think one is lonely. That is not a good enough reason to risk breeding.

I was only going to put them together if the answer to this question was a resounding yes that sex drive is zero after so many years. Glass half full option is out. Thanks for the info! :)

Down to getting Bear neutered or a chin shaped cuddle buddy. Does anyone on here sell chin shaped cuddle buddies anymore?

Annie-O sells cuddle buddies. I think a cuddle buddy is probably the best option at this point. Sorry for the loss of Merlin :(

Back