Blood on feet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gingerred

Hey Guys,
Last night I found bright red blood on Winston's feet. Not a lot, but enough to almost cover a toe or two. I gave him a foot bath, and it disappeared, though it looks like he might have a small cut between 2 of his feet, where they meet. It wasn't bleeding and there was no scab. I'm keeping an eye on him, and he's still running like mad. There's also nothing new in his cage, and nothing that I can find that he might have cut his foot on. Any suggestions?? Should I take him into the vet, or continue to keep an eye on him?? Thanks

Kendra

I would keep an eye on him, check for any redness or swelling. Did he maybe catch his toenail on something?

What kind of bedding are you using? I would keep him on fleece if you are using carefresh or woodchips, just so no dust will get into any cuts and irriate or infect it.

Also, what kind of wheel? Some of the plastic wheels that have ridges can be rough on little feet.

Sometimes they run until their feet are bloody. Try to keep his feet and wheel as clean as possible, and if it's just a small cut it should close up on it's own while he sleeps.

Hi, you may want to take him to the vet just in case. I would think infection could be a very real risk here.
My hedgehog, Thistle, has been through a lot in the past 2.5 months and is facing possible leg amputation. We aren't sure what started the infection but since nothing else has been found the thought is that it was a little cut that just got massively infected, even though she went on antibiotics immediately. I don't want to scare you, Thistle's infection has a life of it's own and seems to be an abnormality, but it may put your mind at ease to see a vet.
Definitely watch for any swelling or any sort of limp. Believe it or not even with a massively infected leg Thistle still runs around like a normal hedgie, just with a casted leg!
Good luck!

Oh, and if you do want to see a vet and don't have a regular one, I see you are in Edmonton too and the vets in the office I go to are becoming well versed on hedgehogs since they've seen her once or twice a week since the end of August!

He's been on fleece since I got him, and there is a metal cookie sheet under his wheel, but he's also had that since I got him, and all the edges are rounded. He's on a cake walk wheel. His toe nails are all there. When I wash his feet, I can see that's it's tender between his toes, where they connect to his feet (where we collect toe jam!!). Perhaps I will give my vet a call and she what she recommends. Thanks!!

Kendra

My recommendation would be to remove the wheel for a couple of days to allow the cut time to heal. Sometimes they can get a tiny crack or cut on their feet. If the foot is not red, inflamed or swollen it should be fine. Hedgehog feet heal quickly. If you feel the need you can add a small dab of neosporin to his wound. If you choose to use neosporin look for the "plain" variety, no pain relief or maximum strength stuff.

I'll see with the wheel. That's all he does. He ignores his other toys. Perhaps I can get the kitchen clean and get him out there for a while tonight (painting and renos, so he hasn't been out there for a while. There was little to no blood this morning, and yeserday, it was and bit of dark blood, so definitly older stuff. He won't be happy about no wheel though.

Kendra

I've had a couple like that. Riley was so addicted to his wheel that he stopped going to the bathroom when his wheel was removed (he had surgery and couldn't have a wheel for a while). I actually had to give him his wheel multiple times a day to let him go to the bathroom. He would jump on the wheel, take a couple of steps and then go to the bathroom (of course the wheel was removed after wards). Every time I had to do it I told my husband I needed to walk the hog.

Feet tend to heal quickly so you may be fine with the wheel in there if the wound isn't obvious anymore. If it is still bleeding I would remove it even if he doesn't like it. Since hedgehogs tend to urinate and defecate on their wheels it is just too much of a risk for infection if there is an open wound.

He didn't seem impressed last night, though I did catch him tubing for the first time ever. He also tried to climb his cage, though that didn't end successfully. He's fine though. I let him out around teh kitchen, as his new wheel holds poop and pee, whereas the flying saucer didn't. The kitchen, at least he does his thing and runs away after. I think one more night tonight, and I'll put it back in Wednesday. Thanks for the advice

Kendra

Back