Bites/swallows tip of feeding syringe

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luciole

Arthur just bit off and (I believe) swallowed the tip of a 3 ml feeding syringe. He didn't choke or even stop eating. The tip is 1 cm long by 3 mm wide. How did he get that down without pause? I'm going to call the vet school to see what I should do.

Has this ever happened to anybody else?

I would watch him for the next few days to make sure it doesn't block his intestinal tract. He might be able to pass it, if he ate it. If not, you could try baby gas drops, more syringe feeding, warm compresses, belly rubs and let him out to run often. If all else fails, bring him to a vet. If he seems to be deteriorating quickly, or you just aren't sure, call and bring him to the vet.

i don't see how something like that could go through the intestine without causing damage.

i'd get to the vet if it was my chin.

Hi guys. Thanks for your replies.
I called the vet school's emergency service this afternoon and the vet-on-call said that he probably chewed the tip into smaller pieces and would be able to pass it on his own. If he stops eating or takes a downturn, I can bring him in to the e-service --he already has a pre-scheduled appointment for Tuesday during regular hrs.

I just gave him his Baytril and he is quite active and even eating/drinking on his own :dance3: I've been waiting all week to see him eat on his own.

Back