Beware safari petstore

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would just like others who have visited this Safari pet centre in canada to be aware of the way they treat their animals, and customers:

About a year ago my mom and sister had surprised me with bringing me home a new young chinchilla they purchased from this pet store a while after my chin had fallen ill and passed (even with several vet visits :( )

Anyways they brought this male home and i noticed he was not acting like any other chinchilla i had ever met. First of all he was large, HUGE even. He was constantly sitting/sleeping in my lap or on a blanket next to me for hours at a time ! Even the same day i got him. I thought maybe he was adjusting or just lazy and thought i would give it a week until i brought him into the vet.

Within the same week of having him adjust to his new home, i awoke one morning to find a little kit hopping around with who i thought was a boy this whole time! (Now i know this is an amateur mistake i made trusting them in the first place however he/she was my only chin so i wasn't concerned with breeding with others so i hadn't personally checked the situation out).

When i contacted management not only did they have nothing to say about why a chin promised to be 2-3 months had a kit at such a young age, they also only offered to take the kit off my hands at no charge to me (lucky me). I had quickly done my research since i became an unexpected grandma (which is how i found this forum), and knew better when management suggested i bring the kit in at 1 months age for them to re sell at their petstore. Can you imagine a 1 month kit on his/her own without mom? I couldnt.

Just goes to show that although NOT all petstores are the same... you need to be very cautious of what goes on behind doors. Note that after calling the store location, and staff laughing at the situation and how funny the story was to them, it was the entire company's management who also had no explanation for how this came to be. They could not provide me with how their animals are treated before they get to the store or which breeders supplied them.

Thanks for reading, and thanks to all the users here who taught me how to raise my first kit, baby proof my first cage and everything else that goes along with chins!!:thumbsup:

It is not just this store. It seems like almost all the pet stores I go to have very little to no knowledge about chinchillas and how they should be taken care of. The most you can do is try to inform them about the proper way to take care of chins and warn anyone you know that is looking for chins. Congrats on the mommy and baby though =)

Back