Best website/store to get chinsafe toys, etc?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna_chin

Where did you guys mostly get your chinsafe toys, hide outs, etc for your chins? I'm getting a double nation ferret model 182 soon- and I need some ideas for layouts, & where to get chinsafe supplies!

If you check the classifieds section, there is a master supplier list that you can order from. I personally love the hammocks, houses, and tube covers that Tanya at Fuzzie's Kingdom makes, as well as her supplements. They cost a bit more, but they are the best made, and have lasted longer than any others that I have had. Rhonda and AZChins have good wood and AZChins makes toys. There are others as well, which you can see on the supplier list.

Alright, sweet! Thank you!
What do you think about this cage for two chinchillas?
http://www.azchins.com/Products/mansion.htm
I'm debating on the ferret double nation 182, or that one.

I need to keep the cage I'm using now for my chin Luna, and disinfect that all out so when we get our new chin- and introduce them and hopefully if all goes well- we room them together! :)

In my personal opinion I love the ferret double nation, its really roomy and what not- but its so hard to choose. The Large Mansion cage is so huge, 5 levels- etc. Oh wow, my chins would love that. Ugh, I can't decide ahaha.

The only potential problem I see with the AZ Chins cage is the small doors. I have Quality Cage Mansions (www.qualitycage.com) for my guys, and the small door is annoying when you are trying to clean the cage or arrange toys/shelves/wheels. I really want to change over to the Ferret Nation, but I'll need two so it isn't going to be cheap.

I love my Ferret Nations. You can customize them and build shelves to give them levels if you like. The full front opening doors are awesome! It is a very high quality cage and I haven't met anyone that's been unhappy with them yet.

The doors aren't a problem since I laid the cage out with the doors in places where you can get to everything in the cage easily. Although, I wouldn't get a mansion cage for two chins...it's a very large cage. The townhouse size cage is cheaper and would be great for two....a mansion cage would work for sure...it's just huge.

Where are you located? I can figure out shipping to you. Ideally, you would live a few minutes from me so I could deliver a cage right to you. Let me know what you decide.

I agree about the doors being plentiful and in good spots. I think you have a very good and well thought out design. And I understand you can't put big doors on wire cages, but it would be nice. That's my only regret with my Quality Cages, that I didn't get multiple doors - or see if they could make a bigger door.

I have had quite a few customers that did not like their ferret nation cages for various reasons.

The AZchins cages are made specifically for chinchillas. Those things will last forever because they are made with better materials and the cages are much sturdier than store bought cages. My friend still has some that she bought about 7 or 8 years ago and they still look brand new.

Personally I love my Ferret Nations. I'm not as big a fan of the 182 series. It's not as stable as my 142, but it's still a great cage.

I do LOVE AzChins toys! LOVE! I get my wood from AzChins, Ronda, and StaceyWolf (I also get chin safe cookies). All of my fleece is made by AnnieO.

My FN's are very sturdy and are still lasting strong after 6 years of use. I don't like the idea of the wire shelves in the AZChin's cages due to sensitive chin feet but they do look like very sturdy and reliable cages so long as you have solid areas for the chins to rest their feet on. I wasn't discrediting them in anyway. As I mentioned earlier, the full opening doors are the winning feature IMO after one too many pulled muscles trying to contort to hang a toy, hammock, etc. due to small cage doors.

I'm curious to know what your customers aren't liking about the FN's?

To the OP I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

Last edited:
As of now, I have this cage for Luna-
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4470992&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

She likes it a lot, but I'd love for her to have more room. There's also not much you can put in the cage, due to the minimum amount of space you have.

I'd also like to know the pro's and con's of the fn cages.

These little budies are a lot of money, but its so worth it to see them happy. The more people I meet, the more I love my furry little girls.

I'm gonna need to get a lot of play toys, etc- for Luna and when I get my new chin.
I was wondering if I could see some of your guys' layouts of your cage- and maybe I could get an idea of how to set up mine.

Also (sorry for the long texts, I just have a lot of questions from being a new chin over and what not.) The new chin I'm getting is about two years old and from a breeder- I got Luna from a pet store near by, and she wasn't as bad as I thought. The people who own the pet store knew nothing about her, and didn't even know the sex or anything. She was very skittish when I first brought her home- but within a few days she started settling down and being comfortable with my fiance and I. She's a real sweetie, and she does tend to nibble on my fingers or even bite them- but not too hard. Anyways, I'm going to keep the new chin in luna's old cage for 30 days as all of you guys recommend (I trust you guys with chin information due to so much experience.) but if all goes well with play times, etc.. I'm going to see if they can room together and keep an eye on them to see if there's any fighting etc- then I'll just put the new one back in her old cage. I won't give up on them though!

But, I've heard the older female chins bond well with younger female chins because they're "younger", I have no idea if that's true or not. What do you guys think?

Also how could I get a signature on here?

I use 1/2"x1/2" smooth wire for the chins. It is safe, I have used the wire bottom cages for 15 years without incident (as long as the cages have the 1/2"x1/2" wire.) I have a lot of customers that really like using the wire shelves and floors, I've been making cages like this for 10 years or more and no one has chins injuring their feet. Right now there are 262 chins on wire floors and everyone does fine. It is good to have places for chins to get off the wire if they need to, but honestly most of the chins sprawl out over the wire to sleep...it isn't uncomfortable for them.

The reason why I put in the doors in certain locations is that I don't want people to have to contort.

I have had customers end up with ferret nation cages breaking or rusting around here.

The doors aren't a problem since I laid the cage out with the doors in places where you can get to everything in the cage easily. Although, I wouldn't get a mansion cage for two chins...it's a very large cage. The townhouse size cage is cheaper and would be great for two....a mansion cage would work for sure...it's just huge.

Where are you located? I can figure out shipping to you. Ideally, you would live a few minutes from me so I could deliver a cage right to you. Let me know what you decide.

I'm asking my fiance if he also agrees with me on the Medium Townhouse cage- and he's getting his paycheck this Thursday and he plans on buying one from you.

I'm located in Maryland, how much would shipping be as well?

I love my FNs! Here is a thread to give you ideas on setup:

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134&highlight=ferret+nation+club

All of my cage fleece is from Camphor Chins, although we have some fleece from AnnieO's ChinChic also. I buy my wood primarily from Ronda or Stacey Wolf, and toys from AZ Chins or Twighlight Chinchillas. Christine from Twighlight Chinchillas makes the most amazing custom houses, but not sure if she's doing them at the moment. My wooden hidey houses are from Cat and Bill Bonnier, and they are very well made. All of the vendors mentioned above are members here and have excellent customer service!

I love my FNs! Here is a thread to give you ideas on setup:

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134&highlight=ferret+nation+club

All of my cage fleece is from Camphor Chins, although we have some fleece from AnnieO's ChinChic also. I buy my wood primarily from Ronda or Stacey Wolf, and toys from AZ Chins or Twighlight Chinchillas. Christine from Twighlight Chinchillas makes the most amazing custom houses, but not sure if she's doing them at the moment. My wooden hidey houses are from Cat and Bill Bonnier, and they are very well made. All of the vendors mentioned above are members here and have excellent customer service!

I can't seem to find where some people have gotten their FN model 141. What's the difference between the FN mdoel 141 and the FN model 182?

The 141 and 142 have been discontinued. The difference is the 180 series does not screw together. Most of the parts slide and lock. The cage is easier/faster to put together, but I do find that it wobbles more. I notice it when I'm moving my cage or the girls are in their wheel.

Even with the changes, I still love both of my FN's.

You may be able to find a 141/142 on Craigslist. Depends if it is worth the time searching, and cleaning a potentially gross cage to save money and get the older model.

Yeah, I'm going to get one of the cages from AZChins, and a couple of toys, etc.
Best website for hide outs, hammocks, etc?

I have one FN and the reason I don't like it is the weight. It's very heavy. I've had it for about three years and everything is still in working condition. I didn't realize they stopped making that model. Guess I'll keep it until if falls apart. It is very sturdy.

Last edited:
Back