Best way to give hay...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winknfox

"Loving my chinchillas"
My chins pull every bit of hay out of their feeder as soon as it is filled. Once they pull it all out, they eat a bit and then the rest goes to waste. Is there something I can put it in to stop this?

My chins pull every bit of hay out of their feeder as soon as it is filled. Once they pull it all out, they eat a bit and then the rest goes to waste. Is there something I can put it in to stop this?

No, would be my answer. You could try to put a little bit less in there at a time. I've got a few that will devour most of the handful that I put in and others that just look for that perfect piece of hay to munch on and then just have a party with the rest. I love all my little goofs! :neener:

Chins will be chins. Some days mine will devour her hay. Other days she throws it all over the cage. There really is no stopping them from playing with their food. You could try giving a little less as Sandi suggested.

Ok well less it is. I think that my black velvet, Chili, is the main culprit...looking for his favorite pieces and leaving the rest behind.

be thankful you don't have guinea pigs - they sleep, eat, play, poo and pee in their hay. I go throught so much more hay for the pigs than my chins. I've given up on limiting it because it makes them so happy!

Mine only like the leaves of their hay, and just leave all the stalks. Just personal preference on their part, just like some people eat their grits with sugar and some with salt/pepper. Have you considered trying different types of hay to see if maybe he'll eat more of those? Or trying a different hay holder? I just use a big cardboard tube so that it's easier for them to get to all the tasty parts since that's what they way anyway. I just sort of accept that their cage will be untidy and I can pick up the extra stalks later.

I made these little "hay boxes" and they always pull the hay out. So, I don't know if there really is a good way. They will always throw it around. LOL

When I hay I just throw it in the cage :). Normally I don't do loose though, and give cubes. That limits the mess .

Sometimes I use a corner hammock, or a fleece hay holder I got from Camphor Chins, Atlas likes that one. I also got hay bags from Tiffany/threewingedfury, and my new guys like those. They try to crawl inside them sometimes. With Zim and Jemma I just put it in the corner. They all end up making a mess anyway so it doesn't really matter where I put it

What I ended up doing is putting less hay in my holder but making sure I always had a hay cube in their as well. It cuts down on the mess and i think they really like the variety. Someday they throw the hay everywhere and eat the cube other days the throw they run around the cage holding the cube and eat all they hay.
But if you do find a good holder that reduces the mess I would love to know.

I also think they pull all they hay out looking for the flowers. They LOVE the flowers.

be thankful you don't have guinea pigs - they sleep, eat, play, poo and pee in their hay. I go throught so much more hay for the pigs than my chins. I've given up on limiting it because it makes them so happy!

so true! i think my GP goes thru more hay in 1 day than all 9 of my chins!

I also think they pull all they hay out looking for the flowers. They LOVE the flowers.

and see i dont think any of my chins like them!

i put mine in little box ends, like the bottom of a fruit snack or hamburget helper box. i cut the top & make it 2 - 3 inches high. sometime they nibble the cardboard, after it gets beat up than i toss it. it keeps the mess down just a little. but it gives me a place to at least put it. some of my guys eat most of it and some dont. i do like to offer a variety to make sure there is something different in there. i also use the cubes, typically the alfalfa ones, so they get that variety too.

Do you guys happen to know if Bermuda mix hay or five pasture mix hay would be safe for my chins? A local farmer is selling it cheap, but I don't want to buy it without knowing first. This may not be the right place for the post, but I figured since I am already posting about hay, that I would add it here.

Latest posts

Back