Best transport/emergency cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanutbutter15

so I need a cage for my future chinchilla for trips to the vet and my cottage. So my question is... what is the best cage for that? Should I have 1 per chin or let them share?(2 chins btw) And where can I get it and for what price? (a link would be great!)
Thank you!!!

ok I think I still have my old carrier from my rabbit, I could use that! And for my cottage should I bring my normal cage (FN) or buy another one just for my cottage(like a rabbit cage or something)?

If your chins are currently housed together, I see no problem in transporting them together...

Regarding the rabbit carrier--because rabbits carry pastuerella (sp?) which is deadly to chins, I would make sure that if you're going to use the rabbit carrier, that you clean and disinfect it well before using it.

I think the cottage-cage would depend on how often you're going to be going there. I know that I personally would not care to move a large cage back and forth and back and forth. JMO, but if I thought I was going to be spending enough time at the cottage that the chins needed a cage there, I would buy them a separate cage and just leave it at the cottage, so all you would have to do would be to get the chins in a carrier and take them, and not worry about bringing a cage every time as well...

That was just what I was going to do. And of coarse I would have washed the old carrier. Thank you!

i use the cat carrier to take my chins anywhere i need them to go and it works very well. i have put fleece on the bottom and it has never been used to carry anything but the chins. i am looking into another transport carrier from ryersons because i have over 20 chins, and this would allow each to have their own space, but that is coming soon not today. also if they are cagemates they should be fine traveling together.

for the cottage i would say set up a cage for them maybe not a fn but something smaller if they are going to be spending less time there.

disinfect the carrier with either bleach or vinegar and water before use, and use your best judgement if you are comfortable using it at that point or not.

Best of luck hope you get the answers that fit you

Back