Best cut of hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulula

JandJChinchillas
Hi

I just recently starting buying my hay by the bale as it is much cheaper for me. Which cut is the best? They had 1st and 2nd cut at my feed store.

Thanks
Jeanne

The best cut is the cut the chins will eat, mine all like 1st cut but there are those chins that like only 2nd cut so maybe ask for a sample of each and try it out.

thanks Dawn,
that answers my question. so basically both 1st and 2nd cuts are good for them its all up to what they like.

Exactly. Ask your feed store if you can try a sample of each. Most will give you a small handful at no cost. I know most of the chins here prefer 2nd cut, but every chin is different.

Thanks Crysta - I was thinking the 2nd cut may be better as I don't think the pieces are as tough, but my boyfriend said 1st cut is what we want....next time I'll try 2nd cut.

~semi stealing~ I've been giving first cut on a regular basis and second cut in toys and as a treat. Is that ok? I was told second cut us usually preferred since it's "sweeter".

SamiJami-- It's fine. It doesn't particularly matter which cut of hay you give. As long as your chin likes it and doesn't waste much of it, it's fine. Hay is just used to wearing down teeth, provides entertainment/variety, and provides extra fiber in the diet.

I agree, either is fine, mine prefer 2nd. Although I know if you can get 3rd cut some really like that as it's pretty leafy, but 1st or 2nd is better for their teeth it seems.

How much the cut matters really depends on what type of hay you are feeding. 1st cutting alfalfa is generally too rich for horses and chins. Look for high quality horse hay and if possible talk to one of the local horse owners in addition to the feed store people.

Yes, timothy - I should have put that in my post. I was thinking it, but that didn't get it typed. Thanks for all the replies

Back