Behavioral Problems.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmonty0726

So I have a 6 month old chin, well almost come the beginning of October. Now, my issue, I have no idea what I did to terrify him so much. I honestly thought he fell and got hurt. Because he was acting injured two days ago and some yesterday.I heard a clicking sound, but it sounded more like it was his heart or hurt bone, he's clumsy, and falls a lot. He also was hardly moving, eating, or drinking. I think he is drinking, but I am not sure. His water bottle is large so it takes a bit. But he is eating okay, and playing fine again. He is a bit skittish when I approach the cage or him. He has tried to bite me in the very beginning, but I thought it was a chewing issue. We have given him some lava chews, and toys. And he doesn't bite anymore.Someone had told me to not retreat my hand when he bites and to pick him, up which of course he hated. Another person told me to keep doing it to get him used to me, and it hasn't helped one bit. And he was just a baby then.. like 2 months, when we first brought him home... I have only owned Chinchillas for a year now. I had one die of heat stroke due loss of power the one weekend I was gone over the summer. So I have been protective of all my babies, especially since then.

I know I have to start over. Since he is scared. But how do I proceed from here. I hate that I messed up and he is so scared.

I also wanted to mention when I thought he was injured, he was taken to an exotic vet, and they x-rayed him, and he was fine.

I truly feel awful about this. I don't have this relationship with my other two chinchillas.

I had 4 but I had to get rid of one. Two of the females I had gotten were cage mates, and one was very selfish and aggressive, and wouldn't let the other have any chew toys, and when the other would try to chew on the toy the more aggressive one(Luna) would steal it and get aggressive. There was fight once in the cage, no blood or injuries thank god, since then I had to get rid of the other. I would rather get rid of Chinchilla than risk its life. I gave it to dear friend, who could have one on one time with owner. They had a cage, and I sent her with food.

Now on to Blossom, she is very skittish, I feel due the aggressive behavior from her prior cage mate. It is taking her a good while to warm up to me. But it is progressing, she does come up to the cage bars now for me, and willing takes food from my hands. Although today she nibbled me, looking for oats. She never has ate oats from my palms until today. And once she found them, she looked for them again. She bit skin, but lightly so thats alright.

Now, my relationship with Felix is amazing! He likes to test nibble, but nothing more. He is spoiled, and loves to play. He was my SIL, he was loved even though he wasn't taken the best care of. He was on Newspapers, and in a medium sized bird cage.

All three each have their own blocked off level of FN

Sirius, my 6 month old is my greatest concern. I know it will take rebuilding and trust, but where do I go from here?

You need to handle him. He won't like it at first, but he will get used to it eventually. Try only giving treats when you are holding him. It will help to make the experience a pleasant one. Also, do not put him down if he bites or squirms. If you do, he will learn that either one gets him put down. Always be calm and soothing while pocking up and holding. If he panics will you try to pick him up, wait with your hands in the cage until he calms down, then quickly and quietly scoop him up. The process can take some time, but is worth the effort once he figures out that you aren't going to hurt him.

I tried it he won't take a treat when I'm holding him. He's aggressive towards humans and somewhat towards other chinchillas. I switched my two males I'd loved to have them bonded and he started to seem less aggressive until I let him out for playtime yesterday and introduced him to Felix my 8 year old standard then after I did a quick cleaning of the cages and put him in their he was defensive when I later tried to give him some hay. I had to put a pair of gloves on to grab him to get him out. The dust bath house didn't even work. I had to put him in a different cage entirely that didn't smell like my other chin. During playtime he was fine we had them both out at the same time the other day and there was no face off or fur biting or blood the only thing was my more aggressive chin Sirius was trying mount him. I noticed it more last night. I interact with my. chinchillas everyday. I never had one this aggressive towards humans. I am deeply concerned he will always be like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I said, it takes time. You won't see an improvement overnight or even in a week. Just keep working with him. I have worked with many rescues who were biters and very aggressive. They all came around eventually though some took months.

Back