Been Extremely Discouraged Lately

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa

I dont post much about my babies on here. I always get scared things will turn for the worst when made public. Currently, I have 2 very happy little boys. Rosa P and Cavalier. Both boys about 4 years old. Now each have their issues as they are getting older..But remain happy little babies. I have lost 4 other hedgehogs to some for of cancer or disease.

Im wondering, however, if there are any hedgehogs out there that have actually just died of natural causes..old age.. with no other illness contributing to the death. I hear stories of cancer this and WHS that, pneumonia, infection or even accidental deaths of hibernation etc. But I honestly cant remember the last time I heard someone say my hedgehog passed today of old age and no contributing factors.

It leaves me to wonder if there is a happy ending for my babies. Or do all hedgehogs have to suffer at the end.

I know it's sad to think about, but most people don't pass just in their sleep of old age. They get cancer or have strokes or whatever. I know of lots of people who have taken great care of their babies and, while they end up with cancer or strokes or whatever, they lived long lives. It stinks that the lifespan of hedgies is so short because it feels like we've done something wrong when they pass after just a few short years, especially when cats can live for twenty years and dogs for more than ten. The fact that your boys are four years old shows that you're taking great care of them. I lost my only hedgie to WHS at about a year and a half, so I know that it hurts to have lost your hedghogs as well. Don't be discouraged! You're giving them happy, healthy lives!

It just seems that every hedgehog gets SOMETHING. Not just slowing down and old. It seems like hedgehogs more so than any other of species get disease and illness.

I feel like it's because their lifespan is so short, though. They slow down faster because they only live for a short amount of years. How many people do you know whose dogs died of old age rather than diseases associated with old age? For most average hedghogs, 4 or 5 is old age. I understand the discouragement, though. It's disheartening to know it will happen so soon and so quickly to most of our hedgies.

Not all old people die of cancer or a similar disease to WHS. And Hedgehogs seem to have more than just "slowing down." Most hedgehogs seem to be be getting sick well before old age.

Three of my boys had cancer/tumors. One with lung cancer (age unknown). One with a brain tumor (one and a half years old) the other with an oral tumor (three years old). Its sad to hear fellow hedgehog owner say "When they turn 3-4 I wake up every morning expecting something to be wrong.. or to find a dead hedgehog," rather than just celebrate their long life.

Melissa - I wonder the same thing about whether or not anyone has a hedgehog who has died of old age/natural causes. I agree 100% that it seems they all die of something like cancer or WHS or infection, etc. The hardest part is all of the diseases they die of are not considered old age diseases...when people die of strokes, heart attacks, etc...those are illnesses commonly attributed to old age. We group them all together as old age because they are so common. Cancer, WHS, infection can all hit at any age...and I think that's why it's so hard to hear that sooo many hedgie die of these things.

I didn't know until I had already gotten Lexie and I started reading the memorial pages...and then I too started to panic. She is still young, but I want her to die of natural causes when she's old...not WHS or cancer...something that she will suffer from. I am not afraid of euthanasia and when it comes that time I will happily help her pass before she suffers too much, I often wish humans had that same option.

I'd be very interested to hear from someone who has a hedgie that died of a natural cause or old age as well... especially those that own many hedgehogs to see what the majority suffered from.

I have had only 1 hedgie pass on so far and yeah, cancer was her cause of death. :( I currently have a 4 year old girl and a 3ish year old girl now, both of whom are doing fine. I would like to know the answer to this as well, now that you mention it Mel. Probably the best way to find out is by speaking to people who have owned many hogs.

It is very sad, I can see why you would be depressed about it, especially with older hedgies. All the more reason to hug them and appreaciate them while they are healthy. I guess all we can do is give them the proper diet and living conditions and love and hope for the best. *HUGS*

Melissa, With as long as I have been in the community, I can say that there are a lot of cancer deaths out there. I think its the most common because our little ones are so prone to it. Of all I have lost, I have only lost one to something other than cancer, and her's was a spider bite. It is so easy to become discouraged when you see the number of hedgehogs that die, in what I consider to be, too young. I really honestly feel that if our hedgehogs can get past cancer they can certainly live very long lives.

What gives me hope? Well I talk to Standing Bear of the Flash and Thelma a lot. He always has over 40 hedgehogs in residence. We talk regularly about his rescues. I've talked to him about 6 year old hedgehogs and I think there have been 1 or 2 make it to 7. Not all of them get cancer. He has talked about some that just start to lose weight and slow down. His rescues give me hope that my own babies can make it too.

I've seen others talk about hedgehogs suddenly dieing at old ages too. Yes their necropsy showed a heart attack or something else happened, but honestly, they died old.

Just because you have 4 year old hedgehogs doesn't mean you should be depressed that they will die soon. I've seen more and more older hedgehogs being reported in recent times. I think the care we give them today is helping.

As you know I have 3 four year olds. All three have serious health problems. Yes I have days where I get scared that I won't have any of these 3 come July 1. But I just remember that I have given them great care, I have loved them, and provided the best I can for them. For 2 of them (they are rescues) I have given them what their old owners couldn't or wouldn't. They are happy, and I just enjoy them for every day that they are here.

Enjoy your babies while they are still here, and keep your spirits up. Even if they get sick, you will provide for them and they will love you for it.

I second everything Julie has said. As a best guess for "seniors", I have three 3 year olds, and three 4 year olds. We have one blind little man battling battling cancer as I speak. All I know is that we are educating people constantly on better care and better breeding practices. I think (and hope) that the species will slowly improve. Think of how easily we share information now across the entire world. That has got to be helping the hogs. And at the very least, our vets are hopefully becoming more knowledgeable and can offer better treatments when genetic disease does strike.

I THINK Cuda died of natural causes. He was extremely healthy his entire life and the only time he ever visited the vet aside from his yearly exam, was for a skin infection that went away with a single round of antibiotics. About 2 weeks before his death, he lost his sight in one eye, but otherwise... he was completely healthy. In his life, he never hibernated - he was actually one of those rare hedgehog who preferred it a little bit colder. He thrived when he was kept at a temperature around 21-22*C, and would lay flat on his belly, panting, if it got warmer than 24*C.

He was wheeling, eating and chirping to himself 6 hours before his (estimated) death. I found him at 6am, behind his wheel and with his head resting on the stand. He had his back legs stretched out behind him and his eyes were closed. It could have been a stroke, but I sincerely believe he just passed away in his sleep.

Kismet is another that I believe will pass of old age. She is completely blind and just turned 4 years old (in March). She was spayed as a baby and has not had any health issues since. She's a little chubby, but otherwise, she's in perfect condition.

I've never owned a hedgie, but from my observations it seems about every animal that is artificially bred--I mean no pure natural selection type stuff going on (this is including human beings), often does not die of "old age". Think about it--cats, dogs, rodents...and people. Mostly I hear about all these animals dying of cancer, or some other fatal disease. It's sometimes an unfortunate side effect of artificial breeding.

Most of my relatives have died of cancer and most of my friends have had or have a pet with cancer. Half of my cats have died of diabetes, and one of my mice I suspect had bone cancer.

But there are always the ones who will never experience cancer, or dying of some disease. Who knows? You can't predict it. Just love them and give them a good life for now. Try not to spend your time worrying about something you can't control. Even if your animals don't die of natural causes, I think the time they were alive is more valuable than whatever they may have to go through as long as you're there to help them.

You could talk to a geneticist and find out if there is anything that could be done, or speak with breeders. That's the only thing I can think of to find any solution.

I was told many years ago that no one, human, nor animal die of old age that there is always a cause. I guess in a way that makes sense because even those who pass in their sleep, they have passed in their sleep because their heart stopped or their lungs stopped or something physically stopped working.

I've had numerous hedgehogs that died at an old age that were fine at night and dead in the morning so something must have shut down. I've had a couple that died in my arms and had not had anything wrong other than age related cataracts and joint stiffness. They passed quickly and quietly in my arms and I feel they waited until cleaning and feeding time so I'd be with them.

I too start to worry once they reach 4 as the majority of those I've lost have been in their 4th year. Right now I have 3 four year olds and an almost 4. Lucy is slowing down and taking on the elder fragile body feel. The rest, touch wood, are fine and hopefully they will all stay that way.

It just seems that every hedgehog gets SOMETHING. Not just slowing down and old. It seems like hedgehogs more so than any other of species get disease and illness.
Rats outrank hedgies for getting diseases and illness and have a shorter lifespan.

If you get a rat to live to 3 years you are doing great. I consider every day over 2 years to be a gift. What seems like a short life to us, truly is a lifetime for them.

Back