Bears are on the move again

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkc1038

Sorry no pictures, but the bears are getting ready for Hibernation. Something large broke into my garage last week and so far my garbage can has been dragged to the neighbors house( usually happens in the spring not fall??). I have heard them in the woods behind my house looking for stuff, but this year they seem extra agitated and nervous . Makes me think this winter is going to be hard.
Yuck all I can say is please use the potty not in my front yard somewhere else and leave my garbage( its a heavy duty commercial can, usually closed and locked) alone you will not find anything good in there, I compost. You can stir my compost up for me if you want. So this is my morning Rant I havent had coffee yet and have been presented with cleaning up garbage and a Large potty pile in my front yard. Thanks Bears I really appreciate it.

I love them in the Spring when the cubs come out with Mama and play. Mama always looks like I do after a LONG weekend with my kids, annoyed and tired. My favorite story is one spring the bears were just out of Hibernation and I live across the street from a dumpster . Cubs were in the dumpster throwing out garbage bags while Mom was sitting on her rump watching them from a distance, she looked like "okay play all you want BUT leave me alone". After a while about 2 hours cubs were tired and Mom was relaxed she gathered them up and left. I just loved the expression on her face when she sat down . I got video of it but the ex cant seem to find the tape it was on. :(

A second cousin of mine lives up in the PA mountains and has bear encounters all the time. She actually has one that has been coming around since she was a cub ("Squeaks"). Squeaks will come up and just hang out while everyone's outside and seems to love showing off for people. It's pretty neat.

Yeah I have had a bear watch my ex-husband put up a new mailbox someone had hit with a car. He/she just sat down and watched him while he worked. Pretty cool actually. Then we have had the same cub walk up and down the trail behind my house(literally not even 25 ft from my back yard) and walk with people like a dog, a VERY big dog.
Poop is large problem in my yard for some reason, It is actually worse than the garbage because usually that isnt dragged except in the spring, the poop is usually where my kids play so its the main problem. My dog barks like crazy when they are in the area, but they dont seem to mind him. I actually Love the Bears and all the wildlife around here it is one of the main reasons I live here.
The cat is too cute, he is brave and the Bear not so much.LOL

Last edited:
Well they're probably stocking up for their hibernation/lethargy which is in a month or two. At least you know it'll end soon for a good few months...

Maybe they're just more habituated to the human environment and it's not them knowing something about the upcoming winter. I haven't a clue but I guess either one isn't a good thing.

I once saw a black bear cub. I was actually driving on Rte 9 in Mass (but on a part that was more back roadish) and thought I saw something on the side of the road move real quick up ahead a bit. Then, I saw the cub run across the street like mad and disappear into the woods on the other side. I must have seen another cub or the mother right before I saw the cub run since it was running towards the figure on the side I saw before.

I've never had a problem with bears in my garbage BUT opossums? My god, yes. One time when I was throwing trash into the row of bins behind my apartment building, one of them was in a bin and I figured if I could scare it just by being there, but it didn't budge. I didn't get super close to it, because it could probably rip my face off and I know nothing about their behavior towards people. So I had to wait to throw the trash out haha.

I wonder if a fence would solve the bears in trash problem?

Opossums are an issue here also, as well as skunks. It is only a few months a year so its not so bad, just clean up is NOT what I wanted to do in the morning. The fence would be nice but I have seen them tear down or go over whatever is in their way. They are stubborn when they want to be. I just know that when the bears are on the move we take down bird feeders, stop composting for a bit, and just be aware of your surroundings. The good thing is they had a very bountiful summer so they arent hungry just curious and the cubs are bigger and Mom is just about done with them, LOL.

Wow. :( Their behavior around humans is unfortunate. Where I grew up, a suburb near Cook's Forest, PA, the ones without human aversion are often shot by Police before wild life officers can bring tranq darts and move them somewhere safer.

As for opossums, don't get me started on those mean little buggers! One morning my father got chased into his truck by a female opossum (w/ kits) waiting for him to put the trash out on his way to work.

Yeah I have had Opossums come out of the Garbage can at me, talk about Scream Queen, I think the next county over heard me. I avoid the bears and dont give them anything to eat at my house My garbage is usually contained and not accessible to them, but I wasnt expecting the raid on my garbage. They can be very determined, here they try to deter them and always relocate unless the bear become a killer then it has to be put to sleep.

Back