Baytril suspension = no poop and no eating

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargrazer

furry pet mom
I took Remi to the vet last Saturday and had his teeth worked on ( he had been drooling). They trimmed his teeth and gave him a Baytril shot. They sent me home with a bottle of the stuff and ordered to give it to him every 12 hours. I have done so and now Remi has become sick. He has stopped eating and pooping. I immediately took him off the Baytril (monday) and have been giving him critical care with some acidophilus half of the time. I can tell he is not well and don't know what else I can do for him until tomorrow when the vet will be open (today is Independence day).
Any advice?

I did read on the subject before I asked this question in case I missed something as I know it comes up now and then.
I did notice he drank some water and he did eat the GI trac tablet (specifically for chins) I gave him a few minutes ago.
I was just hoping there was something else out there I could give him that someone knew about especially if its natural.

Update:
I checked on Remi again about an hour later and there are poops! They are small and pitiful but poops all the same. He also ate some pellets of his normal food too.
I found the story on Sparky and thought to check his tummy. It seemed small and squishy to me and he squirmed a lot saying "let go of me" so I know he has a little energy.
He's also going to town on his hay.
I am really hoping he is over the hurtle and that I can conclude the Baytril was the culprit.

Baytril is known for making chins not eat on their own. Some never have a problem but others you need to hand feed the entire time they are on the antibiotic. What was he on Baytril for?

He had his teeth ground down at the vets and they put him on it.
Now that I quit giving him the stuff he seems more like his old self and has been eating pellets and hay on an off all morning.

The antibiotics are important if he had a very aggressive dental. Most exotics clinics will send you home with critical care after an aggressive dental, as well as antibiotics, and metacam for the pain and inflammation.

Back