Bar Spacing ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmileX3

As some of you know, I got Deliliah at the beginning of July and she had a baby, Evie on July 31st. I was wondering if its safe to put Evie in a FN now or if the bar spacing is too big. I have a FN that I've got separated as 2 so I can put Evie & Delilah on the bottom. The baby proofed cage is way too small for them and I know they'd be happier in a bigger one but I've never had a baby and just want to make sure its safe before I do. She's growing soooo fast! Its amazing what even a day can do! She'll be 3 months on Oct. 31st. Let me know if its a good idea or if you've had experience with youngsters and FN's without chicken wire. I was hoping to transfer them tonight, if it is in fact safe. I want them to go in the entire cage but for some reason, my sweet 8 month old girl, Bambi (was Willow but this is more fitting!) won't warm up to Delilah just yet. Over the past 2 weeks there has been a lot of peeing on one another during out-of-cage playtime! She's fine with Evie though. Just to be safe, I'm gonna keep the top and bottom separate for now.

Definitely too small for an FN right now. I usually wait until they are four to five months old before I trust them in a cage with larger spacing, like an FN. If you want to put them in the bottom of the FN, all you have to do is line the inside of the bottom level with hardware cloth. This will make the cage safe for her and hardware cloth is cheap and easy to secure.

How do I line it? What do I use to secure it to the sides? I don't really feel all that safe with zip ties bc they're plastic. Should I use wire?

Zip ties work just fine for securing it. You can also use twist ties or if you want you can use wire. Most people just use zip ties.

Back