Bales of Hay Near CT?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poetrue

Hi All,

The hay distributer where I usually bought my bales of hay from recently shut down their store near my area. Since then I've been buying hay here and there but have not been impressed with the overall quality of the hay. So my question is......Anyone know of any places near the CT/RI/MA area that sells individual bales of GOOD quality timothy hay??

Cheryl

Hey Cheryl,

Sorry I never got back to you on hay. Did you find anything? It's a bad time of year for hay as most farmers have sold all their GOOD hay from summer/fall cuttings. The quality of the hay I was getting went way down this past month. The problem is the darn horse people wipe out all the good hay in one shot. If I find a place with decent hay, I'll let you know asap and you can stock up.

Brenda Thanks!

Unfortunately no I have not found any good bales of hay. I've tried many places at this point and none have nice good green Timothy hay. Most are mixed hay, or so brown that my chins won't eat it and throw at least half on the cage floor. *sigh* So if you find any PLEASE let me know!

Cheryl

I wanted to add that if anyone knew of any good hay in MA, RI, or the parts of NY within 2hrs of CT - so the Albany area.....I'm willing to drive for very nice hay!

Cheryl

Hey Cheryl, there is a farm in Somers where I bought some second cut Timothy hay that is nice. I actually have some in my car so I could show you if you wanted to see it in person before making the trip there. I also know of someone in the Lebanon area that is selling an orchard grass/timothy mixed bale too, but I haven't gone out to see them yet.

Hey Meg,

That would be great! If the Somers hay is nice, it would be worth the drive! Where abouts are you at these days? Perhaps we could get together for lunch and talk hay :thumbsup:

I recently got a few bales of hay from someone in the Lebanon area that was on craigslist....perhaps the same person you mentioned.....I'm not real impressed. There is a small amount of green timothy hay in the bale, but the rest of the hay is brown and has a bit of brambles in it and my chins just throw it all on the bottom of their cage :\

Cheryl

I put up an add saying that I was looking for timothy hay and orchard grass on Hartford CL and Eastern CT CL and they emailed me, and have their own ad up on CL as well so it could very well be them. I was supposed to go out there and pick up a bale but never made it out there and haven't bothered to respond.

We should definitely meet up and talk hay. I am all over CT (Enfield to Vernon/Manchester to Windham)...I moved back home, my boyfriend lives around Windham, and I go to school and work in Manchester....so I could definitely meet you in the Manchester/East Hartford area one day!

Back