Bad teeth problems... Think putting her down is best... :-(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dianamator

Master poop-sweeper
I just noticed my baby of ten years drooling and pawing, only to see her lower gums receding away from her lower teeth and, dare I say, with her jawbone exposed. The teeth, by the way, looked short and not a healthy orange/yellow anymore like they are dead or dying. She was fine a few days ago, showing no signs of any problems. I've lost enough chinnies to their teeth and I hate that they never show any problems til it's progressed. She is still eating and drinking, but I think she must be in pain since my poor baby just snuggles in my lap wrapped up like a chinnie burrito. I hate to see her suffer. Calling the local vet in the morning.

:cry3:

I am so sorry! After talking to your vet, Im sure you will make the right decision. Thoughts and prayers are with you!

I am so sorry you are observing your chin in so much distress! I know you and your vet will make the right decision, even if the decision is a hard one. I am so sorry for the position you are in, but you are putting your chin's needs first, before your own, and that is admirable. Good luck tomorrow.

I too am very sorry to hear that you're going through this.

One thing that concerns me though is the remark that you've lost enough chinnies to tooth problems. May I suggest you seriously recheck your husbandry practices?
Not to be rude, but sometimes malo is dietary related. Unless the ones you've previously lost have been genetically related.

At any rate, there are some interventions that some members have sworn can ward off, and even reverse malo. Not to get your hopes up at this point, but perhaps for future reference and for the sake of your remaining chins it may be prudent to consider a bit of a modification.

Reverse malo? Really? Its all he said/she said with no documented proof, just internet blather. Especially one website whose practices are a joke but they claim to be the be all and end all of chin care. The closest I ever came was slowing down elongation, there is no way to reverse it, period. And just because someone has had the bad luck of getting dealt the malo hand does not mean their husbandry is bad, if that was so then malo would be way more prevalent then it is with all the junk chins are fed and the lack of chew toys.

Last edited:
I've owned chins since 1995. I have done a fair amount of research on proper care and been a member on this forum for about 10 years. They are fed Mazuri and Timmie hay and always have plenty of chew toys and wood shelves. One vet suggested switching to all Timmie-based products, but it seems to be the consensus that an alfalfa pellet is ok with a loose or cubed timothy hay. For every one I've lost to teeth problems, I have one going strong. One lost was a rehomed chin whose family fed it ice cream every night. Another one was from a breeder who I found out later had sold a good number of chins who developed malo. And this one is related to another with problems. My other chins who came from reputable breeders are healthy.

There has been some interesting research lately that the typical chin diet in captivity in the US is lacking. Overseas information appears to be more advanced in this area.

Generally though, the concensus seems to be that because chin teeth are free floating, they need much higher amounts of vitamin C in their diet to keep the connective tissue strong. This is the cliffnotes version, so there is more to it than simply adding vitamin C.

It's hard to argue with before and after x-rays taken of a chin with full blown malo that has REVERSED.

Like I said, just because you have had the bad luck of having malo chins does not mean YOU are a bad owner, because if that was true then I would be the worst chinchilla owner on the face of the earth hands down, the winner of all time. I am here for you if you need a shoulder during this tough time.

To the OP: I'm so sorry you're going through this. Perhaps when your vet does a thorough exam you will find some treatment options that can manage the malo, and maintain your baby at a high quality of life for several more years. There was a recent thread on Malo, and someone said it doesn't have to be an immediate death sentence. Malo is not curable or reverable, but some dental issues can be maintained for awhile. I'm a malo mommy too, it's never fun :-(

:hug:

One thing that concerns me though is the remark that you've lost enough chinnies to tooth problems. May I suggest you seriously recheck your husbandry practices?

1 malo chin is enough hearbreak for a life time. Malo happens. I think the bigger problem than animal husbandry is that there are too many breeders and breaders in this country that don't pay close enough attention to the genetics that they're messing with.

There are too many 'oo I want cute babies' breaders out there that breed genetically inferior animals.

Likewise I recently heard of a large breeder in the midwest that knowingly breeds a malo carrier because he consistenly throws remarkably stunning whites. eventually these chins, or their offspring, wind up in pet homes, and the owner has to deal with the heartbreak of caring for a sick chin, and the ridicule of other people who are trying to blame them for something beyond their control.

Last edited:
There has been some interesting research lately that the typical chin diet in captivity in the US is lacking. Overseas information appears to be more advanced in this area.

Generally though, the concensus seems to be that because chin teeth are free floating, they need much higher amounts of vitamin C in their diet to keep the connective tissue strong. This is the cliffnotes version, so there is more to it than simply adding vitamin C.

It's hard to argue with before and after x-rays taken of a chin with full blown malo that has REVERSED.

Provide the link to the research by real "researchers" that malo is being reversed and who is doing it, and yes you can argue x-rays, especially if the x-rays are from a layman and not backed up by anything if these people are who I think they are. If its someone like Dr. Crossley or Frances Harcourt-Brown then I will stand up and listen. What you are saying about Vit C and CA:pH supplementation is old news its not new and has been around for years that malo could be a form of scurvy or Vit D deficiency.

Last edited:
To the OP: I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Keep us updated.

Likewise I recently heard of a large breeder in the midwest that knowingly breeds a malo carrier because he consistenly throws remarkably stunning whites. eventually these chins, or their offspring, wind up in pet homes, and the owner has to deal with the heartbreak of caring for a sick chin, and the ridicule of other people who are trying to blame them for something beyond their control.

That is absolutely sickening.... I can't believe someone would knowingly do that. As a fairly new chin owner, malo is definitely my biggest concern. I'm praying that I never have to deal with it, especially since I don't know anything about my chin's genetic background.

Provide the link to the research by real "researchers" that malo is being reversed and who is doing it, and yes you can argue x-rays, especially if the x-rays are from a layman and not backed up by anything if these people are who I think they are. If its someone like Dr. Crossley or Frances Harcourt-Brown then I will stand up and listen. What you are saying about Vit C and CA:pH supplementation is old news its not new and has been around for years that malo could be a form of scurvy or Vit D deficiency.

I totally agree with this. I've seen some really 'incredible' claims about reversing malocclusion with diet but I have yet to see any proper, definitive proof. Anecdotal evidence from people 'messing' about with chinchilla diets proves nothing.
What does happen though, sadly, is that people get their hopes up - only to find those hopes dashed when their chinchilla dies of incurable tooth problems, despite being on the 'miracle' diet.

Like Dawn, when I am provided with valid clinical research from a respected vet then I will sit up & pay attention.

I'd be interested in the 'overseas' research you mentioned too, Whimsy. :yes:

Last edited:
And just for the record, I AM one of those owners who got their hopes up, I HAVE done the whole supplement thing with CA:pH, large doses of Vit C, UV light therapy, the chin sling, selective tooth removal, gingival curettage and sculpting, flap surgery, acupucture, massage therapy, you name it I have done it or have researched it and found the risk too high and cost even for me to high-I:E root canals with apicoectomy and whole mouth tooth removal. It does not work, people can spout off all they want and produce phoney x-ray progression but until there is a clinical long term study with a control group done by someone who is qualified as a researcher, its all the internet rumors and propoganda by people who want to increase their self importance but its all just crap until that happens. So don't get malo parents hope up and waste their time and money on phoney hopes not to mention the pain and suffering of the chins involved.

The chin that is genetically related to the one noted in my original post has had issues with his incisors for about 6 years. One lower is curving sideways, his uppers curving tighter. He's been quite healthy and happy with occasional trimmings so there is hope for extending the life of some. But I have found that when advanced, there isn't much a hefty vet bill gets me other than broke and jaded.

Is receding gum disease/gingivitis technically malo? Just curious and asking a question. Sorry you're going through this, and hope you can make the best decision for your fur baby.

Periodontal disease is not malocclusion, its disease of the tooth-supporting structures. It can result in maloccusion.

Back