Baby born Saturday/Sunday

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchillaOwner

Sunday night I was surprised with a baby walking around the cage. What is her colour? It is similar to it's dad which is a beige but it is more grey than he is or atleast right now it is.
Mom is a Black Velvet.
Here are a few pictures of her on Sunday night. She weighed 53g on Sunday and on Monday she weighted 55g. Last night (Thursday) she was 71g already. Here are a couple of pictures. I am not 100% positve but I think it is a girl. It is so hard to get a good picture so you can all help me tell her sex.
She is already trying to master the wheel!!!

Attachments

• ChinWeight.jpg
    ChinWeight.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 160
  • ChinWheel.JPG
    ChinWheel.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 169
Do you agree that she is a beige? Her colour is different than her dad and obviously differnt than mom too.

Attachments

• IMGP5575small.jpg
    IMGP5575small.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMGP5580small.jpg
    IMGP5580small.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMGP5591small.JPG
    IMGP5591small.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 108
The baby is a standard. Genetically, with a beige and BV combo, you have a 1 in 4 chance of producing a standard baby. Congrats! :)

Beige chins would have pink ears, which she doesn't. You could also get a brown velvet out of that pairing, but they also have pink ears. You could also get a black velvet out of the pairing, but the baby doesn't really have a mask, veiling, or the stripe on the paws.

As far as the wheel and shelves in the cage are concerned, just be careful that the baby chin doesn't hurt itself, or for the mom to jump off and land on the baby. Many breeders leave the cages rather sparse when the babies are little to prevent any accidents.

Very cute baby. :) Just as an FYI, you may want to remove the wheel. If mom decides to run on the wheel while the baby is on there, there can be dire consequences. Also babies are CRAZY and can cause themselves injury on a wheel. The general consensus is no wheel until 6 months old.

There is a sticky posted at the top of this section with photos to help you sex kits...It might be easier to look at those and compare rather than trying to take a picture...Cute baby :)

The baby is growing like crazy, she is just over 2 weeks old and has almost doubled her weight. As of last night she is 103g now. She is looking more and more like a light standard everyday with the exception of her tail.

Here is a picture of her I took yesterady. She is growing so quiclkly. As of yesterday she was 112g. She doesn't seem to know how to have a dust bath, I can put her in the dust but she just jumps back out of it. Any pointers? She has seen mom do it but will not do anything when she goes in there or is put in there. This little monkey loves to climb..

Attachments

• IMGP5673.jpg
    IMGP5673.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 70
Back