Axolotl

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raindog

I went to an exotic animal show over the weekend and I saw an axolotl. Does anyone have one? They seem really cool.

Attachments

• IMAG0695.jpg
    IMAG0695.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 165
I think these are the coolest water animals ever! I know one other person who has one and I sure would love to add one to my "zoo".

I have one, a wild type named "Xochi" after Lake Xochimilco in Mexico where the wild ones used to live. The lake was drained in the 1970s to control flooding outside Mexico City. As far as pets go, the hardest part for us was getting water balance right. They eat earth worms, Hikari Gold betta pellets, and blood worms, and need cold fresh water as close to true neutral as possible. They also shouldn't have a strong current in their tank, so I had to set up a sponge filter and fart around with water levels for over two months. :( Beyond that, though, Xochi's easy, and an absolute pig!

I think they are pretty neat. I still don't know how to pronounce the name tho.

I'll have to see what I can do about pics. They're kinda hard to get because Axies aren't really the kind of pets you pick up, and he's always been jumpy, Literally. His breeder rented a table at the WNY Herp Society show (we're members), and set up a bunch of gladware containers with 1 baby per container. Periodically through the day, we'd hear squeals and jumping from that table. He made a break for it from that deli cup 5 times in as many hours, and he'll jump out of the water in his tank completely if he thinks he might see food. He's like a little baby gator when it comes to his food!

Pronounced: "Ax-a-lot-el". In Canada they're called the Mexican Waterdog, or sometimes called a Mud Puppy, though that's a common name for a U.S. species of salamander that isn't closely related. The term for these guys is "neotenic salamanders" which means that they never fully mature into land-based salamanders, but stay in stage 3 of their development as long as they have deep enough water. They can even reproduce in this "adolescent" state, and only live about a year after they're forced to "grow up". With their frilly gills and tails, they can live over a decade.

This is probably the best website about axies in captivity: http://www.axolotl.org/index.htm The species is really only alive thanks to a vigorous effort in Mexico and a captive breeding program at U of IL that recently moved to KY (I think?). They're used a lot in scientific research because they can regenerate (albeit rarely perfectly) lost gills, feet, and other body parts. Good classroom pets too. :)

I have one! his name is Vincent. turns out 'he' is a she but I like the name so I just keep referring to it as a boy haha.

jfakas.png

They can turn into regular salamanders without the filly gills and stuff, so while they don't "walk" like a normal salamander in this phase of development, they can learn to. People have allowed their Axies to metamorphose and documented the process (somewhere on that website I linked above). *I* couldn't do it knowing I'd be sentencing the little thing to what's usually an early death, but it's important to understand the process.

Are the purplish pictures taken with a black light shining on it?

Yep! When he was little he glowed pretty bright and was extremely see through as you can see from the picture but he's kind of lost that now that he's bigger. I haven't shone the light on him for a while since it bugs them with their lack of eyelids and what not.

I never knew they could metamorphose! The breeder didn't tell us that (not that I would want to do that anyways). That's so interesting but weird at the same time!

Back