At wits end!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuddskers

Whiskers still doesn't seem to be turning around:( All this started up about 11 days ago. We originally took him to the vet Saturday the 3rd then again Monday the 5th. Monday they said he had a tooth infection and started treating with antibiotics and a pain killer. We had him into the vet again Friday he did not give him fluids because he said he didn't feel he was dehydrated. He did put him on Cisapride. So we are feeding him critical care (very watery mix) 3 times a day. I am maybe getting 3 to 6cc in each feeding.We are feeding him a few syringes of water as well. The meds he is on is metcam, cisapride, and enrofloxacin. And we give him simethicone 3 times a day.

He still hasn't drank or ate anything on his own except hay one night but not since. He hasn't had any poop at all either. I am just at wits end!! I don't know what else to do for him. Should I start giving him lactulose again with the rest of the meds?

We have been letting him run around to try to get things moving as well.

I keep reading that if they don't drink or poop for more than a few days that is pretty much their death sentence.

Any suggestions would be great.

You need to be getting at least around 60 mls of cc in him daily. 3-6 mls a few times a day is not near enough. That is most likely the reason he is not pooping.... Not near enough is going in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you keep letting him run around without a lot of food in his system chances are that his body will start to break down muscle tissue (like in a human body), that can cause some kind of enzyme in his blood wich can make your chin nauseous and therefor he will not be keen on eating.
I agree with Stackie, your chin is not taking in enough food.

My boys struggled also with hand feeding 3 weeks ago but now they are on about 60 mls a day.

Also you need to cut back on the water.CC should be mixed more so like thick cake batter,not runny,adding a bit of puree pumpkin(not the ready to use spiced/sugared kind) to make it taste a little better. If getting enough of this type mixed CC you don't need to add syringe water,they get enough water in the CC mix.

Chins should have 60-100 cc/ml. a day of CC and it should be like pudding consistency. Yes, at first they fight the hand feeding - that is why it is called 'forced feeding' Wrap the chin in a towel so his feet are tucked in the towel. By the way, letting him run around is NOT going to 'break down his muscles' - It is good to let him run a little to try and get his digestive system running. Tummy rubs help also Sometimes it takes several day (weeks) to get everything running smoothly again

Thanks, we have been able to get 24 to 30cc in a day and he has finally started to poop the first day was alot but very inconsistent in sizes. Big to small. That lasted the first 2 days but they seem small and dry again. It sound like I should still be getting more in him??
My vet told me to mix his critical care more liquidy for now because of his tooth infection. He has been on antibiotic for about 10 days so I don't know if I should start thickening it up. I also was told to let him run to help get things moving again.
I have been rubbing his tummy 2 to 3 times a day and he seems to like that.

He still won't drink from his water bottle at all??So I am a little concerned about that.

How many cc at each feeding and how many times a day do you suggest??

Definitely thicken it up. It is probably best to feed 3 times a day, if you can, about 24-30 cc a feeding. Don't worry about the water he is getting plenty with the Critical Care mixture

Back