Assembling FN 182

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleynicol3

I'm assembling my Ferret Nation 182 and mine looks a little different than the picture. There's a support bar and a little support tube on the bottom of the front and I can't see this anywhere in the picture, but I've followed the instructions. It's like it's in the pictures in the instructions until step 5, then it disappears and the door is flush with the frame, but I don't see how it's possible. Anyone else have this issue? The first picture is what I've got and the second is one I found online where you can see the support bar and the little tube thing in the middle right under the door locks is missing. Maybe some people just choose not to use that bar? Help!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372455615.253464.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372455637.288745.jpg

Your first picture looks like the 182 I put together in the last month, with the gap and tiny support tube in the center. I actually had a 2nd support tube that didn't go anywhere.

It's possible the other picture is of an earlier model, possibly a 181? I've read the new models that end in a 2 are don't require tools for assembly, beyond the tiny screwdriver they provide. Maybe the new design changed the front and the instructions were not fully updated to match.

Regarding the sides, those were a pain. Also note, two side panels are unique and go on the top section. They have a tiny hole used for a hook to secure the top of the cage later. The instructions failed to mention this and I had to remove a panel that took forever to get in.

The difficulty of getting them end seems to be tight fit of those square loops (attached to front and back) that the side panel pegs go into. The pegs go in fine, until the bottom of the side frame reaches those loops.

• Place the side panel on, inserting the pegs into the square loops. It will probably stop when the bottom of the cage touches those square loops.
  • Get the side perfectly level so not one corner is further down than the other.
  • It should look like there's not even a hair of space between where it contacts the loop, hopefully not on top of it, otherwise the loop might be bent and need to be fixed.
  • Then wiggle the side towards you and back while pushing down, all while keeping level. (not side to side to the front and back of cage).
  • This helped get it just passed those darn loops so you know if you put some effort in, it can actually go down further.
  • Then use more elbow grease to get the side panel down enough to insert into those tiny loops on the top of the front and back. Then use a towel and hammer on each corner (mallet if you have one) to get it down as far as it can go. it may not appear level with the front and back, but as long as it looks like it's down all the way at the bottom, it should be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply! I had to walk away from it for a while because I was getting really frustrated lol, but I'm going to make sure I'm not mistakenly trying to use the top side piece for the bottom like you said. I also have an extra little supporter tube, so it makes me feel better that you did too!

I did have one of the side panels wrong! The little hole is on the bottom piece. Unfortunately, now that I hammered it in, I can't get it out lol - I did get the one panel that was really giving me a tough time in there though. I'm just gonna keep it like it is and not undo the last two hours' worth of work.

Finally!!! I'll post pics on the FN Club thread once I get all the stuff in. I have A LOT of stuff lol. Picking my baby up tomorrow!!! Can't wait! Thanks to the person who helped me above and some advice for anyone trying to put one of these things together - you NEED a hammer or a rubber mallet. It will take some time and it's not easy, but it really does seem like a great cage (now that I'm done cursing it lol).

I had the same question about the little support tube. I also had an extra. I've built a critter nation and a ferret nation and it took some maneuvering to get them to fit together right.

Glad to hear you got it finished, but sorry to hear the instructions tripped you up too with those top side panels. As long as you make sure the top is secured.

Today I received my Stainless Steel pans from Bass Equipment. There are a few dents, but otherwise fits nicely. Will probably contact them about the damage, as it does cause the bottoms to bow a bit. Worried one day the bottom pan will decide to pop-up and scare the living daylights out of the chins.

Your chin is coming tomorrow! Looks like you have a lot of work ahead, hope you post a finished picture. I'll be picking up a pair Sunday morning. Here's a new picture of my cage with it just about complete, except for a few things taken out to test the pans.

IMGP0706-pans.jpg

My pans came with some dents too. I'd be interested to hear what they have to say about that. Sounds like ours both dented similarly as my bottom pan is dented the same way. I've have them for a little under a year and haven't seen them pop up and scare the chins.

My pans came with some dents too. I'd be interested to hear what they have to say about that. Sounds like ours both dented similarly as my bottom pan is dented the same way. I've have them for a little under a year and haven't seen them pop up and scare the chins.

There are few success threads with Bass customer service, so it's worth a shot. Though, already a bit peeved they messed up the shipping address. They didn't include the condo unit, which is on the invoice packed with the pans. Had to call UPS and drive 15 minutes away at 8:30 pm to pick them up. Also paid a premium for Stainless Steel, $124 shipped (which seemed $10 more than expected), so it's not out of line to expect it in perfect condition. I'll start a new thread about any progress, or post in a similar old one.

Looks good, Brian! I posted a picture of my setup with all the toys and ledges added in the FN thread, but I uploaded it from my phone, so it's a little small/blurry. I'll probably start a new thread when I get my little guy to introduce him and try to upload the pictures from my computer once my Internet is hooked up (hopefully later today - we just moved in yesterday).

My Bass pans did not have any dents in the bottom, just one small dent/bend on one of the sides - barely noticeable. Looks like I got lucky there!

I secured one side of the cage lid with the hook that was provided and I have some zip ties that I'll use to secure the other side.

The hook thing is new...I ordered a CN a little over a year ago and it was made so as not to have a support tube or hook...then this year I recently got another one and they just added those features...I did put on the support bar but I didn't even bother with the hook...

Back