As if Handfeeding Triplets Isn't Enough/Orphaned Baby and Dad Rescue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMSChins

Hendryx Chinchillas
Okay - so I start my day with a frantic e-mail from someone I sold a male to over a year ago telling me that they had a terrible weekend! Apparently they bred my male to a female that they already had and that I was unaware of when I sold my male. She had 2 kits last Thursday. They found one kit dead in a "pool of blood" Friday morning. This morning they found the mother dead and wanted to know if I would take the father back as well as the orphaned kit. REALLY??? What do you think might happen if you decide to breed? Didn't turn out the way you thought so now you get rid of the stud and the baby that you have to feed around the clock???

Of course I have a responsibility to the father of the kit as I sold him to them in the first place and of course now I feel responsible for the poor baby as well.

So I call them and I can't get any kind of useful medical information or history from them. The baby "was fine, no there wasn't any injury, yes, it was eating fine, no they don't know where the blood was coming from, yes they checked it over thoroughly for injury, no the dad wasn't in the cage with the mom and babies, yes they were sure there was no injury to the nose or mouth, yes it was bleeding from the mouth. Same for the mom, yes she was eating (we think) , yes she was pooping (we think), yes she was drinking (we think)"...you get the picture.

She says the vet tells them to feed the baby kitten food, I tell her to get it here as soon as possible as I am already feeding triplets and have everything on hand to feed it. As she doesn't know at what point in the night the mother died this baby may have been without food for up to 12 hours by now and I tell her that it needs to be fed asap. She say she will be right over.

FOUR hours later she shows up with dad and baby and supplies:huge cage with extra large spacing (no way baby can stay in that with dad), crap food(Kaytee Fiesta Max), bag of Buckeye's favorite treats (sunflower seeds), one of those huge snack logs and my favorite - a Death Ball! All of the time I spent trying to educate them when they bought Buckeye just went in one ear and out the other. She said that they switched his feed to Fiesta because that is what her other chin was on and Buckeye seemed to like it better - duh!!! Who doesn't like junk food! I wonder why the other chin died? On top of that I find out today that she had another male before Buckeye that she bought with this female that died 2 weeks after getting him.

To give her credit, she did stop at the store and pick up a quart of goats milk as I told her that is what I will be feeding the baby.

Sorry - I am venting - too little sleep!

Anyway, here are pictures of poor daddy Buckeye and his little boy (oh, she told me it was a girl), he's been kicked out of his mansion and is now in a small baby proof cage, I figure since I have to get up every two hours around the clock the least he can do is hang out with the little guy and keep him warm for me. Since they'll be in quarantine can't put him with the others that I am handfeeding. Poor Buck has a new roomate, different food and most of his playthings won't fit in his temporary digs. I think I feel more sorry for him than the baby who lost his mommy.

Question for those of you with more experience. The woman did have a pedigree on the mom, and it only indicates that she was an ebony, the woman kept referring to her as a black velvet. The baby is definitely an ebony but I think I see BV in him too. I never saw the dam so don't know for sure what the mom was. Do those of you with experience see BV in these pics - I know he is still young and the pics aren't great. If so, I wonder why the dam wasn't listed as an Ebony TOV on her pedigree - kind of important to know for breeding purposes don't you think?

Attachments

• DSCN1571.jpg
    DSCN1571.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCN1569.jpg
    DSCN1569.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCN1567.jpg
    DSCN1567.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 301
FOUR hours later she shows up with dad and baby and supplies:huge cage with extra large spacing (no way baby can stay in that with dad), crap food(Kaytee Fiesta Max), bag of Buckeye's favorite treats (sunflower seeds), one of those huge snack logs and my favorite - a Death Ball! All of the time I spent trying to educate them when they bought Buckeye just went in one ear and out the other. She said that they switched his feed to Fiesta because that is what her other chin was on and Buckeye seemed to like it better - duh!!! Who doesn't like junk food! I wonder why the other chin died? On top of that I find out today that she had another male before Buckeye that she bought with this female that died 2 weeks after getting him.

Hence the reason I keep saying, over and over ad nauseum, those little pieces of paper are really cute (contracts) but they mean nothing once the animal walks out the door. People are going to do whatever they want to do regardless of what you taught them, and people spazzing over the wholesaling of chins need to wake up and realize that.

As far as the pedigree - who knows? You don't even know if it's from a breader or a breeder, so anything on it is suspect as far as I am concerned. Mom's dead, kit is pet only. <shrugs>

ETA: Yes, the kit does appear to be TOV.

I don't have them sign contracts since I know they are worthless, never said that I did - but you would think that MOST people would want to do what is best for their pet which is why I try to educate them!

The pedigree is actually from a very large, well known and respected breeder, member of both ECBA and MCBA and does very well showing at both organizations (much to my surprise - the dam being from them - not that they do well)- I just haven't heard back from them yet as I have already sent an e-mail asking for information on the dam as I like to have as much information as possible.

I wasn't referring to you specifically. It was a generalization, which is why I didn't say YOU did it. It's just been brought up over and over recently that people seem to think those pieces of paper or the information you give to someone actually means something after they leave your house.

I don't know why the kit's information would be important. Hopefully he's not something you would consider breeding if you sold the sire as a pet. If a chin is not for breeding, all you need to state is that they are pet only and you don't have background information.

I'm glad you got him and his sire and hopefully they can stay cagemates and go to a nice pet home when the baby is old enough.

The sire is a show quality male from Shoots that I sold when I downsized my daughters 4H herd and took over, it was a decsion that I regretted as I shortly thereafter decided to continue to breed and show on my own. At the time that I sold him, I wasn't personally showing but have since started and doing fairly well.

We sold him to what seemed like chin knowledgeable people, they had all the right answers to all the right questions and had owned chins before (shows what good asking the right questions does you). I didn't sell him as "pet quality". I simply sold him trying to downsize and regretted it as soon as we did.

We kept his daughters, we showed them and they received RSC and 3rd Best of Show so he's not too shabby as a sire as you can probably tell from his pictures. Over a year later he still looks awesome, his coat is great despite the diet and he has wonderful conformation and color.

The baby is too young to tell whether it is pet quality or show quality but with Shoots lines on one side and Ryersons on the other I wouldn't say that the background is exactly unknown either. The only thing in question is the TOV as that is the only thing not on the pedigree but yet the baby looks TOV and that definitely didn't come from a pure standard male.

People say they did the research (magically they swear months..right)and answer your question and go home to do what ever the heck they want. _ case in point I sold a chinchilla wednesday they had it on hold for several weeks. Gave my usual lecture on making sure he is eating/drinking Make sure to check the water bottle daily to be sure it is functioning etc. In the heat I stressed the water bottle

Today (6 days later) they send an email saying We decided to use a water bowl instead (they had asked if they could and I said no day of the pick up AND several times before) and he doesn't seem to have been drinking at all and his poop is small and hard..Should we get a water bottle for him?

I responded with a yes another brief lecture on how important the proper water and diet are and said since they did not listen to my advice on the water bottle they have endangered their chinchilla and I would not replace the animal within the 2 weeks I give. If anything happens to him it is on them (nicer than that)

Same thing with another person with feed. I gave a 5lb bag of tradition for them to transition to the Oxbow they said they bought...They threw my food out because it was boring and got a fiesta mix and now he's acting weird. Supposedly they have now gone to the store to remedy the situation But this is why I keep ALL my emails saved. So when people try to pull a its your fault or you didn't tell me I can say yes I did have a look....

Any way the baby does look TOV But if mom's pedigree says the wrong color maybe it is the wrong pedigree.... A reputable rancher puts eb on their if their is eb in the lines because none of us want a oops suprise look a dirty belly, but if it was an extra dark ebony female she may have had TOV without anyone knowing. I have a couple ebonys here blacker than anything that through tov ebs, TOV hides in whites and ebonies...... not carried just can't always be seen due to the coloring on whites and dark ebs

I was wondering that same thing as I did find a show stub that indicated she was a "Homo Ebony". Don't shoot the meesenger, I already know there is no way to know if she is a Homo Eb or not - that the proper term should be XD Eb, I am just repeating what I see written down. I too am wondering if they didn't know she was TOV???

Can a kit over-eat when hand fed?

This kit is now 11 days old and eating like a champ from a syringe - not so much luck with hanging a bottle so far.

My question is can a kit eat too much goats milk from a syringe? He started out only taking 0.5 ml from a syringe licking it off of his lips. He gradually increased the amount he would take. Over the weekend he really got the hang of it and started latching onto the syringe and suckling. He is taking anywhere from 5 to 7 ml at each feeding spaced 2-3 hours apart and he is only 11 days old. I think at times he could even take more.

The triplets I am handfeeding are only taking 0.5 ml to 3 ml at a feeding and sometimes refusing altogether and still don't seem to have the hang of it and they are 3 weeks old.

Don't get me wrong, he is absolutely easy to feed but I am worried that he is going to bust a gut or something!

Do you let them pace themselves at this age?

I too am wondering if they didn't know she was TOV???
Likely the case if you don't know how to spot the difference in Tov fur vs. ex dark eb fur. Even then it's a surprise some times. That's definitely Tov baby.

He is taking anywhere from 5 to 7 ml at each feeding spaced 2-3 hours apart and he is only 11 days old. I think at times he could even take more.
That's what a baby that isn't getting any milk whatsoever eats like. When they're really hungry there's not much you can do but hang on to the other end. :D

Thanks - I just wanted to make sure he couldn't get too much as these are the first kits that I have had to handfeed and they are acting so different.

They all have access to the dry mix as well as pellets, water, hay and bottled goats milk. The triplets are still gaining weight 2-5 gms a day so i figure they are eating more of the hay and dry mix.

Update on my little orphan.

Solo is now almost 4 months old and already weighs close to 600 gms. He has turned out VERY nice. I thought that I would update with a picture.

Attachments

• CSC_0153.jpg
    CSC_0153.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 94
  • CSC_0154.jpg
    CSC_0154.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 98
I agree, I think I am going to show him, this will be the first ebony I show and I am still trying to learn as much as I can about them. He is probably nothing next to Wendy's ebs but hey - a girl can try! :)

His daddy is doing great also, since I have switched him back to good pellets and not so much junk, he has fattened up and I have him back in breeding with 3 of my girls.

Back