Are your chins collectors aswell?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormcrow

Since my cage has wide doors (FN cage) I get easy acces to the whole thing, both floors. The spots that are the hardest to reach are the shelves in the back close to the ceiling of the cage, since they require some weird stretching to get there (for me at least :p)

The chins prefer this spot to sleep and nibble things, prob because it's harder for me to reach but also cause it's the darkest and highest place.
A lot of the times, when they get a stick or something, they pick it up and go to this spot to eat it. I have even seen them drag small blocks of wood connectied with sisal rope to this spot (and I can assure you, it was pretty heavy!)

The thing that I noticed aswell was that in the corner of this shelve there were constantly leftovers from the thing I gave them. So I just figured that those would be things they didn't want to eat anymore (gone bad/soft/tasteless/all munched down). Untill I started to clean the cage!

I can't say they act "weird" or agressive, but I can see they don't like me vacuuming that spot of the cage! It is almost like they put these little pieces of rope, wood and gnawing stone aside for later use.
After some more observing I noticed the moment of the day they dig in to this pile of scraps is mostly during the daytime, in between naps.

So I am wondering; does your chin displays similar behaviour? Are they really hoarding their stuff there or is it just what it it; mess? :D
Or maybe it is intentional, seeing they are preyanimals, they maybe like to put stuff aside during night to eat during the day without leaving their comfort zone?

For a new chinowner like me (almost 2 months) it is sometimes still a bit scary and surprising how smart they are, and they simply amaze me on a daily basis with their intelligence... Just need to be carefull not to see every coincidence or silly thing they do as a sign of intelligence :p

my chin has the one spot by the front of the cage by the door where she does all her"stick chibbling" there are only stick remnants and pieces hoarded right in that one spot !

Back