Are Pans required if Fleece Bedding is used?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been reading a lot about pans, but my chinchilla's cage didn't come with one. The cage's dimensions are 36"w 24"d 48"h. I believe it's the same size as a Ferret Nation 142. The floor of the cage is solid metal. I am planning on dividing the cage into two 24" high sections by laying a board across the middle of the cage, resting on the preexisting metal shelves that are in his cage.

My question is, if I am using fleece liners in the bottom of both sections of his cage, do I need to buy litter pans like the bass brand ones I've been hearing about? Does the top half need one to keep the urine from hitting the wood shelves under the fleece liners? Does the bottom half need a pan, even though it has a solid metal floor that can be wiped down?

I should add, the fleece liners I ordered have a layer of flannel in the middle which apparently stops liquid, if that makes a difference regarding the wooden upper level floor.

The solid metal on the bottom layer should be fine. You just don't want a large wire grate that the chin's leg could get stuck in. The only problem with not having a pan is that poop may fly out more. Honestly though, some poop is going to wind up on the floor no matter what you do.

As far as the middle layer, I would recommened a pan for two reasons. First, the urine may soak through, and over time you would need to replace the board. More importantly though, if it's only a wood board there's a good chance that one of the chins would chew through it, defeating the purpose of separating your chins.

I've been reading a lot about pans, but my chinchilla's cage didn't come with one. The cage's dimensions are 36"w 24"d 48"h. I believe it's the same size as a Ferret Nation 142. The floor of the cage is solid metal. I am planning on dividing the cage into two 24" high sections by laying a board across the middle of the cage, resting on the preexisting metal shelves that are in his cage.

My question is, if I am using fleece liners in the bottom of both sections of his cage, do I need to buy litter pans like the bass brand ones I've been hearing about? Does the top half need one to keep the urine from hitting the wood shelves under the fleece liners? Does the bottom half need a pan, even though it has a solid metal floor that can be wiped down?

I actually wasn't planning on separating my chins. Right now I only have one, and once I get the cage separated in two, I was planning on slowly introducing another chin.

Anyone know where I would pick up a pan with the hole in the corner in Canada?

It's already been answered, but no you don't need pans.

I use fleece liners in my FN with no pans. I also use a litter pan. I don't worry about poop flying, because it will no matter what. The majority of poop that ends up on my floor I think rolls off the back of the shelves and through the bars.

So then do you just wash the fleece liners? My dad is building my baby's cage pretty much like the Quality Cage Mansion, and I had planned to use bedding rather than fleece at the bottom for easier cleanup. She'll have pine shelves to hop and hang out on, a fleece pillow and fleece hammock. What does anyone think of this plan?

Thank you for the advice. I actually just remembered I have a bunch of ceramic tile left from renos, so I am going to tile his upstairs wooden floor rather than buying a pan. That'll make it easy to clean. :)

danilinn, from what I've read, you just vaccuum up the fleece liner periodically and wash it every two days with unscented laundry soap. I'm going to get four, so I he always has a fresh one waiting for both levels.

Nope, I would say no need for a pan. But a litter box and a vacuum would probably do you a world of good without a pan. I have all the above. Litter box for the pee (works wonders!) and vacuum for the poops and the cage keeps pretty clean save for a few poopies that make their way out of the cage. ;)

Back