Are chinchilla balls safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apples

So i've seen the big platic balls being used by many people, and im thinking of getting one because my chinchilla wont' run in her wheel, and when i let her run around in my room its very difficult to get her back in her cage.

but im wondering if its safe because chinchillas might get too hot in them...

You are correct, your chin will get too hot inside of a "Death Ball"

To get your chin back in her cage when playtime is over, you can put out the dust bath and grab it when the chin jumps in then put it in the cage (for just a few minutes). Some chins are harder than others to catch. Have you thought about having playtime in the bathroom? (I know, not much fun for people) It might be easier to catch her if she doesn't have the bed to go under and whatnot.

The balls are not safe for chinchillas, or really any other animal for that matter.

If you have trouble getting her back into her cage you can use a smaller room for playtime. I use a bathroom and it is so much easier. I use their dust bath house for transport. Use it to bring them in, and then take it away. When you are ready to bring them back to the cage put the dust bath down again and they will usually go right into it. I just cover the hole and bring them back to the cage where I let them dust for a min before taking the bath away.

Not only are they unsafe but consider how unsanitary they are as they chinchilla is rolling around in his ball he is peeing and pooping that is rolling around to getting imbedded into his fur....

kay, thanks that helps a lot

now that you guys mention it, it does sound rather unpleasant. i will definatly not get it then.

it's great that you asked, especially before you got one. The pet stores certainly sell them like they're a great idea for chins, but they really are just the opposite. Not only do they not move around in them easily, they become to hot and they go potty inside them as well, which ends up soiling their fur. I had one for my chin, before I knew how bad they were, and my chin just sat in one spot and never moved around. She hated it and I don't think she knew what she was supposed to do inside of it. I have a playpen attached to my chin's cage so she can come in and out of her cage into a safe environment.

What you can do is have a controlled playtime. I use a critter playpen with wire bars. They have a good amount of space to run but they can't get out of it so its easy to put them back. It hooks up to the cage so they can go out. To convince them to go back in I put a treat in the cage to lure them back in.

Back