anyone purchase hay online recently?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of a deviation from topic, but I'm looking at purchasing hay online too, and was wondering if any of the companies youall have tried have different cuts available? I feed out of a dish currently, and my boys prefer the grab-n-scatter method. I'd really like to find a finer cut where less gets thrown around when one piece is grabbed. :D

I just got some Timmy from Kleenmamas hayloft and they sell different cuts. I got 2nd and 3rd cuts and when it arrived I mixed the two. My chin Remi likes it way better than the local Oxbow I had been buying.

I just received a 25 lb. box of Oxbow hay from Rabbitstop and it is gorgeous! It is tons better than you get in the small bags. I got a really crappy batch from APD last summer and have been buying most of my hay from Oxbow now. I used to love APD's hay though, they just weren't very customer friendly when I called to complain about the terrible 25 lbs. of hay I received so I cut them loose. Haven't regretted it yet :)).

JM, I just checked rabbit stop out but the biggest quantity I saw was 9 lbs...pretty pricey too! Do you special order with them for the 25 lbs? How is their shipping?

How big are bales? How long do they last? I found a feed store near here but they only sell in bales. If i could get some others to want some hay i would get a bale.

I buy a bale of hay from a local farmer just about 2 miles from my house. His bales are 60 lbs and the last bale I bought from him cost $3.25!!! I don't know what it will cost this year with the economy and all but I almost felt like I was stealing the hay from him. I drive past his hay fields every day to and from work. His hay is fresh.

I have also purchased from Dr Fosters and Smith and the hay was in great condition. NOt old, like I was afraid it was going to be. I can't answer for any other online store.

Good luck

Jean

I really had wanted to switch from using Kleenmamas, since the quality has been slipping quite a bit in my last couple of boxes. However, finances had to win out. All of the Oxbow sites I found sold 25lbs for around $45 not including shipping. My 25lb KMS order was just $29.34, including shipping! Even if I throw away a third of it due to weeds/dust etc, I'm still saving a ton of money. If any of you know of a site where you can get good hay for close to the same price, I'll all ears. KMS charges $15 for 25lbs.

Why I read this thread is beyond me, I get hay locally for much cheaper than shipping in. But, anyhow... My question that I'm thinking we've covered before because I think I remember reading it somewhere is does the hay have to be green to be good? I know that green means fresh and fresh is always best, but figured the brown has the same stuff in it that the green did.

I get mine from www.farmerdave.biz. It is the best stuff, and very reasonably priced. I have been using it for about a year and my chinnies couldn't be happier with it. My piggies too!

Oxbow hay

I buy Oxbow items in wholesale, and have access to 25lb and 50lb timmy hay, as well as all Oxbow items. Please feel free to email me if you are interested. I can match rabbitstop.com prices. :thumbsup:

My feed store sells a bale of hay for like $7. I don't remember what kind it was.. a mix of two different things. Is this what you all are talking about buying? Or should I stick with timothy hay?

Back