Anyone good at troubleshooting sewing machines?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christemo

Amelia's Mommy
I was going to make more snuggle bags, and my sewing machine decides to not want to thread correctly from the bottom.
I just changed the needle this morning... it was jamming quite a bit last night as well.

machine4.jpg

Threaded to standard.

machine3.jpg

Looks normal.

machine2.jpg

There's that piece of string coming off the bobbin, that really shouldn't be there. The normal string is going around the bobbin, but that one piece stays there.

machine1.jpg

... and that's what the bottom looks like.

It's so irritating when you went over to take a break from papers to sew, and it decides it wants to take a day off.

If the bottom of the thread is coming up jammed, its most likely something is wrong with your bobbin. I'd suggest taking out the bobbin, making sure its wound correctly (not loose and floppy) and if there are any threads coming off of it that aren't supposed to be trim them. If there's not a lot of thread left on the bobbin I'd just say take off the little thread and rewind a new one. If you have an extra bobbin lying around, you could always rewind a new one using the thread from the old one if there's a lot of thread left. Just put the bobbin where the spool of thread would go.

Short answer: its the bobbin, not the top thread.

Agree with Leomonster - check to make sure the bobbin is not in backwards. Also I have found that some of the newer bobbins do not fit my old Singer, they are just ever so slightly bigger and they just do not work. Try flipping it or trying a new bobbin altogether.

I've had thread tension cause that before. So a couple of additional things to try:

Unload and reload your bobbin. Check to ensure it is in the correct direction. Check to ensure you are using the proper needle for the material you are using. If those don't fix it, play with your tension settings. Your top tension may be too tight, or the bobbin tension may be too loose.

Back