Any chins not love timothy hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my3esses

just curious... our new 3 mo chin doesn't seem too crazy about his hay. We've had her about 2 weeks now. I believe she was given timothy before she came home with us too but she just doesn't seem to eat much hay. Her poops are normal, so I know she's eating some thing - she eats pellets too, not sure how much is normal, I just add to it every few days when it gets a little low. Should I be concerned? Should I try other types of hay? If so, which ones do chins like that are good for them?

Chins can tell the quality of the hay and that could by why she's not going for it. I personally prefer Kleenmama's hay and all of my chins love it.

it is oxbow... that is the most common brand to find around here. Tonight I picked up some orchard grass hay and she seems to like it so far.

Some chins don't like timothy. Some like orchard grass. Also some chins like other brands of timothy - you could try another brand

well after a few days now, it looks like she seemed to like the orchard grass more than the timothy! I am going to try timothy cubes to see if she likes them. I tried the timothy in a toilet paper tube to see if it was just the way I was giving it she didn't like and all she did was pull it out and eat the tube, LOL! I used the bird feeder with the orchard and she ate it. I will try a different brand of timothy too see also.

What other types of hay do they usually like?

My chins really love Kleenmama hay. The website is www.kmshayloft.com

Another type to try is Oxbow's botanical hay. It's timothy hay with some herbs mixed in and it really does add variety and it smells soo good. My chins like it too. There is also American Pet Diner hay. It's a different brand. http://www.americanpetdiner.com/

My newest chin didn't seem to eat much hay the first few weeks. I mixed in other Oxbows and cubes.. Now he's fine. Could have just been the new environment, but during that time he did eat plenty of pellets so who knows.

I feed my chin alfalfa/orchard (locally grown) and she seems to like it. I also bought a bale of 2nd cute orchard and she really likes it. So i mixed the 2 together. Quick question though I thought young chins needed alfalfa hay and pellets while they are young?

Back