Anti-social?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xnatebearx

Love me chins ^_^
I have had Sammy for almost a year now. I try to get him out every day but when I go to get him out he usually kacks at me and runs. :1grouch:He will jump on his back feet and start kacking. When I finally do get him out I let him run around my room while I clean his cage and give him a bath.

Also, is it ok to have a "bath house" with the bluecloud in it in the cage, or is it better to take him out to bathe, and if so how much? twice a day,once a day?

And lastly, I was told chins love oranges. So I went out and bought some oranges and gave them to Sammy, and he went bezerk...literally...just wondering if that is normal.

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't wanna make him uncomfortable.

Thanks!

I leave the dust house in my chinchillas cage, with the blue cloud in it, only 3-4 times a week tops. Any more will dry out their fur. As far as I know, oranges, or any other fruit are bad for them. Stick with un-sugared wheaties, old fashioned oats, and wood.

Agree with Shubbles. I dust my chin twice a week for about 10 minutes each time, my chin jumps out when she's done. I just put the dust house in the cage because otherwise my room gets caked in chin dust. Kudos on the Blue Cloud, though--it's good stuff!

Fruits and veggies are not good for chins, because of the sugar in them.

If he has super dry skin, maybe he doesn't like being held because of that? I'd say try going slow with him. Almost like starting over. Talk to him in a calm voice and don't try to hold him every time you take him out. Slowly gain his trust. Maybe you guys just need a do-over is all!!

Agree with Shubbles. I dust my chin twice a week for about 10 minutes each time, my chin jumps out when she's done. I just put the dust house in the cage because otherwise my room gets caked in chin dust. Kudos on the Blue Cloud, though--it's good stuff!

Fruits and veggies are not good for chins, because of the sugar in them.

If he has super dry skin, maybe he doesn't like being held because of that? I'd say try going slow with him. Almost like starting over. Talk to him in a calm voice and don't try to hold him every time you take him out. Slowly gain his trust. Maybe you guys just need a do-over is all!!

My thoughts also. I moved him from my moms house where we had two cats and a dog. I am hoping my bedroom here will be better for him - were it is plenty more quieter with no other animals to bother him.

Though I have put into consideration maybe he is lonesome and needs a chin friend.:hmm:

Oranges have citric acid and sugar so I can't imagine them being good for a chinchilla. I only give shreddies, oats or a rosehip for treats and only one per day. Lately I've been giving an apple stick that I purchased from Rhonda here on the board and they think they are treats too.

Since your chinchilla is in a new environment I would just sit next to him and let him get to know you. You may find that in a few months he'll be loving the human attention. I only mention this because I've just gotten a second male chinchilla and it's looking like they will need separate cages.

Oranges have citric acid and sugar so I can't imagine them being good for a chinchilla. I only give shreddies, oats or a rosehip for treats and only one per day. Lately I've been giving an apple stick that I purchased from Rhonda here on the board and they think they are treats too.

Since your chinchilla is in a new environment I would just sit next to him and let him get to know you. You may find that in a few months he'll be loving the human attention. I only mention this because I've just gotten a second male chinchilla and it's looking like they will need separate cages.

Ok thanks for the info! Today I let her out and she ran around..last few days she ran and hid but today i feel she actually ... played :)

Now I feel like a horrible chin father XD um, so I was wondering in my room it is relatively dark (pretty much all day) and I was unsure if that bothers them or if they like it. So tonight, i put a small night light beside Sammy's cage..any thoughts on this?

I have little nightlights in my chin rooms to provide a little mood lighting. They like having some light in the room in the daytime, I have skylights and a few windows that let them know it's day or night. Even at night I think they appreciate the nightlights.

I have little nightlights in my chin rooms to provide a little mood lighting. They like having some light in the room in the daytime, I have skylights and a few windows that let them know it's day or night. Even at night I think they appreciate the nightlights.

Thanks for the info!:hug2:

I saw today someone said they "collect" their own chew sticks..any recomendations on what type of tree that is naturally grown? I figured a soft wood, but I didn't know if the sap would hurt them.

Though I have put into consideration maybe he is lonesome and needs a chin friend.:hmm:

Not sure how long you have had the chin for, but I would definitely stick to only one chin until you get into a schedule with your furbaby. The quarantine, introduction, and adjustment period can be a little involved (lengthly) depending on the situation. I rushed into getting a second chin within a couple months of the first and I wish I had taken it slower with that process and had known everything that was involved before I jumped in. Don't get me wrong- I wouldn't trade my little Ziggy for anything.. :kiss: But it does take a couple months for adjustment. Take it slow and read everything on the site before you decide to take that next step ;)

Not sure how long you have had the chin for, but I would definitely stick to only one chin until you get into a schedule with your furbaby. The quarantine, introduction, and adjustment period can be a little involved (lengthly) depending on the situation. I rushed into getting a second chin within a couple months of the first and I wish I had taken it slower with that process and had known everything that was involved before I jumped in. Don't get me wrong- I wouldn't trade my little Ziggy for anything.. :kiss: But it does take a couple months for adjustment. Take it slow and read everything on the site before you decide to take that next step ;)

I have come to the conclusin she is liek this because she is a female -.-:rofl:

I am also a relatively new chin mom, but I've had my lil muppet for a few months now, so I know exactly what you're going through!! The one thing that I have found to make all the difference in the world, is to learn to have infinite patience and let her come to me and on her own terms. At first, not being able to hold and pet her was agonizing! She was sooo cute and I wanted to shower her with love and affection, but I found that every time I rushed the trust-building process, she'd kack at me & we'd be back at square one. Spend lots of time near the cage talking to her, but not in her face. When she starts to show interest, stick your arm in the cage and hold still like a perch, but again, not in her face. Eventually she'll be curious enough to approach your arm for a sniff or a gentle test-nibble to see what it is. Then try putting a treat flat in your palm so she has to touch you to get it, but when she does, don't move! Keep still and talk softly, or the sudden movement will freak her out and send her running. More and more, she'll start to associate your hand with good things happening, aka -she gets a (healthy!!) treat. Most chins are initially somewhat afraid of hands, which is amplified when you try to touch or hold them before they're are ready!! Rather than writing you a fifteen-chapter novel full of advice you don't want, why don't you try that and then let me know if you'd like to hear the rest of the slow steps that worked for me to get over that bonding-trust hump lol. I'm happy to help, but don't want to smother you with unsolicited advise. Best of Luck!!!

I am also a relatively new chin mom, but I've had my lil muppet for a few months now, so I know exactly what you're going through!! The one thing that I have found to make all the difference in the world, is to learn to have infinite patience and let her come to me and on her own terms. At first, not being able to hold and pet her was agonizing! She was sooo cute and I wanted to shower her with love and affection, but I found that every time I rushed the trust-building process, she'd kack at me & we'd be back at square one. Spend lots of time near the cage talking to her, but not in her face. When she starts to show interest, stick your arm in the cage and hold still like a perch, but again, not in her face. Eventually she'll be curious enough to approach your arm for a sniff or a gentle test-nibble to see what it is. Then try putting a treat flat in your palm so she has to touch you to get it, but when she does, don't move! Keep still and talk softly, or the sudden movement will freak her out and send her running. More and more, she'll start to associate your hand with good things happening, aka -she gets a (healthy!!) treat. Most chins are initially somewhat afraid of hands, which is amplified when you try to touch or hold them before they're are ready!! Rather than writing you a fifteen-chapter novel full of advice you don't want, why don't you try that and then let me know if you'd like to hear the rest of the slow steps that worked for me to get over that bonding-trust hump lol. I'm happy to help, but don't want to smother you with unsolicited advise. Best of Luck!!!

You can always give advice, its the choice of the advised what to do with it ^_^ I private messaged you also :)

Latest posts

Back