Allergic to one chin and not another... suggestions?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxy

Hi everyone,

I've had my two chins for almost 2 years now- I got my standard grey chin, Harlow, first, and a few months later I got my beige/white chin, Sienna.
I always handled Harlow a lot from the get go. She loves the attention and enjoys being handled in moderation.
Sienna was always more skiddish, so I've handled her far less so I don't stress her out.
I've noticed that I am not allergic to Harlow and I break into itchy hives within 60 seconds of holding Sienna.
Her nails are definitely a lot sharper so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but I can't imagine that's the only reason.

They live in the same cage, eat the same foods, sleep together (sooo cute!), and bathe the same way!

If anyone has ever encountered this, or if anyone has any ideas/suggestions, please share!

Did you change suppliers for hay or wood (for shelving and/or toys) between getting Harlow and Sienna? Contact hives like you're talking about usually crop up on me because of something like a new hay source. They have pollen on their feets from the hay, and when it gets on me, I get itchy.

Did you change suppliers for hay or wood (for shelving and/or toys) between getting Harlow and Sienna? Contact hives like you're talking about usually crop up on me because of something like a new hay source. They have pollen on their feets from the hay, and when it gets on me, I get itchy.

I would agree with this as a potential source. Nails or being another chin should not cause the hives if the first does not bother you. If you want to reduce her nails, down put down a large piece or affix several smaller pieces of light sand paper to a flat surface and pull her gently by the base of the tail backwards on the sand paper. It will file them down for you.

Yea its def a contamination on the chin rather than the chin its self. It also might be about where she sits/sleeps if its diffrent. If she had been new i would have suspected fungus, but you have owned senna two years too right?

Hope the nail thing works, if not see if she sits on/in something different like pee spots. And try to remove the contamination.

Thanks for all of your suggestions!
I will definitely try filing her nails to see if it helps.
It's just so weird, and a real nuisance, I want to give her some love without the hives!

To keep my boys nails filed down I have a patio paver brick in their cage. They use it as a step up to the cage door, and it stays cool like a chiller, but the rougher surface keeps their nails down.

Back