Advice on restraining chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luciole

Some background. Arthur had surgery on Thursday to correct a condition called phimosis. His prepuce had become fused to the head of his penis and it could not be extracted for cleaning. Of course, this lead to recurrent corynebacteria infections, so the vet surgically removed the adhering tissue.

I am supposed to extract his penis daily and apply ointment so that the adhesion does not reform. To say the least, Arthur is not appreciative and won't sit still for the procedure. Any tips on restraining him? He is a bit swollen so I need both hands to extract the penis and apply ointment.

I can't believe that nobody has designed a straightjacket for chinchillas yet.

It would be best if you had someone else restrain him but if I had to do it on my own, I would hold him against my body with my left hand against his chest so that he is facing outward. I would put the ointment on my right index finger and use my right thumb and middle finger to roll down and expose the penis to apply the ointment.

Back