Adding food to pellets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynott86

The more I research the more I am questioning what the previous owner of my chin told me about my little buds feeding menu. She had him for 3 years before me and added oatmeal oats and sunflower kernals to his pellets. I read that this can cause diet problems but My chin seems healthy and active with this diet. Any suggestions on others adding anything to their pellets?

You should never add extras in with the pellets. There is always the chance that the chin will eat the treats and ignore the pellets. I would also not give unlimited amounts of oats and I don't ever use sunflower kernals. It's far healthier, barring any medical conditions, to just give your chin a rose hip or some chin safe wood to chew.

My boys get an herbal supplement from a vendor on here. When I give it to them I sprinkle it into a vine ball stuffed with their "treat" hay. It never goes straight into their pellets. They get one or two organic rolled oats as a treat once a week.

i agree its best to just feed the feed and never put anything in with the pellets

Thats what most of what I read says so Im going to wane him off the junk because he usually does pick out all the extras then eats his pellets.. Sounds like im going to have a grouchy chin for awhile.

Thats what most of what I read says so Im going to wane him off the junk because he usually does pick out all the extras then eats his pellets.. Sounds like im going to have a grouchy chin for awhile.

If he's already on a junk feed w/ the extras in it, I would do a cold turkey switch to a good quality pellet.

Back