adding another food to the mix

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I took out the blue longevity. I put 2 tbs of the kibble without the longevity in it in his bowl to try to get him back to the weight he was.

Let's see, the Longevity was at 8%fat.. .which was lower than the other two... so one might expect a little thinning, but probably not ~30g.

Guess little guy just did not like the taste - perhaps it was just too "diet-food-tasting" to him. Perhaps there's something with a bit higher fat that fits the protein range you were looking for -- the Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken (12% fat; lamb & chicken) or Natural Balance (10.5% fat; chicken) that might work better for him.

Bummer that it didn't suit his tastes. These little ones can be picky -- not terribly unlike us humans. You could probably spoil him with some extra mealies for now :)

yea i am giving him some more mealworms to get his weight back up according to the book I have says he is under weight. his shape is | | not his normal [ ] shape if that makes sense. he wasnt ( ) he was in between | | and ( ) where I was happy having him at. now he looks like a lanky hotdog shape. he loss 26.8g within 2 weeks I dont think that is very healthy. I gave him 2 TBS last night he ate 1 TBS of it. I added a TBS to it to make at 2 TBS again for tonight. when I had him out for some cuddles and worms. When I put him in his cage he went to his kibble and ate a few pieces then went back to bed.

Hmmm... noticing in 2009, there were some concerns about parts of it being outdated though it was recommended here... not so sure when she last updated the page. It's definitely hard to have "the" book on hedgies these days. Knowledge continues to evolve. I think most people are trending toward the Goertzen book these days - particularly as it's a more recent publication that she's been actively updating.

Yep, that's pretty much where we all are on hedgie resources :)

Would be neat if there was a list of all foods with a tally of how many hedgies enjoy vs how many hedgies reject each of them, eh?

maybe we can start one. or at least try. I still want to add another kibble to his mix but I am a little scared to cause of him not liking the last one I got. got any sugestions that are around $10. the other ones I get are $9.99 each one is a 3.5 lb bag and the other is 2.2 lb bag

I just got the kibble samples from smhufflepuff so I will be trying little of each kibble in his dish with his other kibble. if thats confusing sorry I mean he will get his normal kibble and a little of one of the samples for a few nights then do the same with the other 2 samples. and I will see which one he likes and i will go from there on what I will add into his kibble.

i tried one of the samples with him he ate all of his food last night. I mixed some of the sample in with his current kibble. the sample I tried was solid Gold katz n flocken. I am putting that in his dish again tonight to make sure to see that he likes it. then there is blue bufflio and fromm duck a la veg

the first night with longesvity he didnt eat any of it and with the solid gold he ate all of his food both the lirst night and last night. tonight he is getting the blue and he will also get the blue tommorrow as well. then I will let him have his regular kibble with out any new food then on monday and tues he will get the fromm and see how he likes it. After i try all 3 foods with him I will try a long period with the food like a week for each to make sure he likes it. I am glad that he likes the solid gold because it is the same size pieces of the current kibble pieces so it will mix in really good. If he likes all 3 of the kibbles I dont know if I will be able to choose 1 or 2 kibbles I might just mix all 3 in with the 2 he has now so it would make his kibble a 5 kibble blend.

he doesnt care for fromm. :( but he likes the one that I was hoping he would like cause of the piece size. which was the solid gold. I was surprised that he liked the blue as well. I am trying the solid gold for a week with his current and then I am going to try the blue for a week to make sure he likes them. and I was thinking I am going to try him with the SG and blue & his current kibble but not sure.

Yeah, that sounds like a legitimate strategy... To put both of the ones he liked in with his current kibble at the same time and see what he does with them.

yea, I still am not sure if I want to mix the 2 he likes with his current or just the solid gold. he like the blue as well

Last edited:
I am going to mix in the solid Gold to his mix. I think it would mix well into his current mix cause of the size of the kibble.

Back