Abnormal vocalizations?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingcup

As of about 2 hours ago, my chin has begun making strange vocalizations. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=TD-1CpL1s5c

Yesterday he seemed totally fine, greeting me as I entered the room, scampering about outside the cage, rolling in the dustbath, etc. I have had him for a little over a month and he has never done this. It could be totally natural, or something could be wrong. If there is something wrong I would like to find out, so please help me identify the problem, if there is one.

My chin did that yesterday for the first time in awhile... If I remember correctly, and I could be wrong, I think he was just "barking" (that's the correct terminology, right?) for attention. Again, I could be wrong.

Yeah, he's barking. Is he a rancher or pet store? Before I knew too much about chins I bought one from a pet store, and she never made the noise. Bought my rancher, and he taught it to her.

He either wants attention from you, or doesn't like something outside of his cage environment. Usually in my experience he just wants attention.

It's a warning call to the herd. They sometimes do it in their sleep or he might have been startled by a noise. Once they learn that you'll come running when they make it, they tend to make it more often. Nothing to be concerned about usually. I try to talk to them and calm them down if they are doing it for a while.

Aww, that's the sound my chin makes in his sleep. Because he only did it at night and while sleeping, I related it to chin dreams :) and went over to give him some reassuring cuddles. He never did it while awake and the first time I heard it, it woke me out of a dead sleep and scared the crap out of me! But yes, warning call.

My chin does that for attention if we haven't been in her room for a while.

Like everyone said, its perfectly normal. Chins make a few sounds and if you're around a few of them, some have their own way of barking. I have one chin that has a bark that makes her sound like a clucking chicken.

Is he a rancher or pet store? Before I knew too much about chins I bought one from a pet store, and she never made the noise. Bought my rancher, and he taught it to her.

That makes no sense. Chinchilla's sold in pet stores are usually born and raised in ranches/barns. Unless they come from a backyard breeder, pet store chin's are perfectly fine. You can't teach them that noise, either. They do it on there own when they feel scared, anxious, ect, and want to get a warning out to nearby chins.

That makes no sense. Chinchilla's sold in pet stores are usually born and raised in ranches/barns. Unless they come from a backyard breeder, pet store chin's are perfectly fine. You can't teach them that noise, either. They do it on there own when they feel scared, anxious, ect, and want to get a warning out to nearby chins.

I never said my chin wasn't perfectly fine. Just that she never made any form of vocalizations until my rancher was brought home, and within a few days of him being there and making the noise she started. I can't teach her the noise of course, doesn't mean my rancher doing it isn't something she can pick up on.

I never said my chin wasn't perfectly fine. Just that she never made any form of vocalizations until my rancher was brought home, and within a few days of him being there and making the noise she started. I can't teach her the noise of course, doesn't mean my rancher doing it isn't something she can pick up on.

All chin's have different personalities, as you're seeing with yours. Some are more vocal then others. She might be a bit anxious having another chin living around her, hence why she starting becoming more vocal after you got your male.

Sorry, misunderstood part of what you said when you first posted. :)

Its a natural sound, although I must say I have seen it plenty when my girl is at ease. I dont really associate it with fear but it also seems a multi use sound. My girl usually does it while sleeping or when she is lonely. Some good chinchilla massage always quiets her down. If you have 2 or more chins usually the other will come running when one barks.

Back