A couple of questions for the geniuses of the group

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chintastic!

OK all you breeders and people who know what you're doing I have a few questions, although I'm not really a new owner I put it here anyway.

Firstly, for those of you who use the Lixit Glass bottle, which one do you use? There are two different options of style and I wasnt sure if one worked better or if either of them had any flaws that you had noticed from personal experience. One is more expensive and I didnt know if the extra cost was worth it.

(the top two on this page)
http://www.chinchillas.com/estore/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=59

My other question, where can I get a ryerson 3(or more) hole carrier? I cannot find them on their website, is it just me being stupid or are they not selling them anymore? I have been on their site probably 6 times trying to find them.

I went to http://www.ryersonchinchilla.com, is it somewhere else that I am not aware of?

Thank you so much for reading, and to all you AMAZING GENIUSES keep doing what you do!

I don't use Lixits, so can't answer that one (don't like them), but the second answer is yes. Just give them a call. They make 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 10 hole I believe.

As for the lixit bottles, I use and sell the ones that are listed second on the page, the cheaper ones. I like them, and don't think paying that much more for the other ones would be worth it. It appears the more expensive ones have a rubber stopper for the spout whereas the other ones use a twist on cap. I've had some chins chew the twist cap but you can put a metal washer in front of it to prevent this.

Awesome Thanks! I also know exactly what I did with the ryerson site, I went ot metal supplies and didnt think to go to the paypal part.

*slaps forehead*

This is why you guys are geniuses and I'm not.

As for the lixit bottles, I use and sell the ones that are listed second on the page, the cheaper ones. I like them, and don't think paying that much more for the other ones would be worth it. It appears the more expensive ones have a rubber stopper for the spout whereas the other ones use a twist on cap. I've had some chins chew the twist cap but you can put a metal washer in front of it to prevent this.

Same here, my oldest Lixit bottle with the twist cap is 3 years old. It has a few chew marks but they lost interest after a couple of days. They work fine..no way I would pay $20 for a water bottle!

That was my thought exactly! I just wanted to be sure I bought the right thing and that it didnt turn out to be like the glass superpet disaster bottles.

I have a few cages that still have the lixit bottles on them. The style I use is also the twist on cap. I am still using bottles that I've had since I first started with the chins, 9 years ago and they've held up great. Granted some of the bottles are long gone (me dropping them, chins knocking them off the cage here and there) but other then that they've done great.

Ryersons make all different holed cages. They're $11 per hole, so a 3 hole would be $33. I just bought a 4 hole from them last month.

I have the Lixit bottle with the twist on cap. I like the 8 oz size since water should be changed regularly anyway...also if I don't screw the cap on straight and they leak, there's only 8 oz of water on the cage floor, not 16. Mine are all 5+ years old or so. I love them. The only issue I have is that the little rubber washer inside the cap wears out and replacements are hard to find.

Back