9 hour car ride

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliespooks

My two chins and I are moving to my fiance's house tomorrow and I'm fussing about how I can make the trip comfortable and stress free for them. We've been getting them used to being in their carrier and we plan on having the AC on to a comfortable level. Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to make this trip smooth and happy for my little fluffy children?

Just don't blast the radio, keep them in a secure and cool area (I put my chin on the passenger seat buckled in and my car has a thermometer in it which is nice), don't aim the vents right at the carrier but maybe a bit above or something and pull over if you want to see if they will eat or drink.

I line my carrier with fleece and put a few sticks and some hay in there. I usually put a thin jacket over part of the carrier but it's always at risk for being nibbled, though the sun protection and place to hide I think is welcome. I try to drape it over the headrest and maneuver it so it doesn't touch the carrier that much. I don't think it's a huge deal, depends on the chin. Mine usually fusses and bites the bars for about 20 minutes, gradually calming down and then without fail she sleeps the rest of the way.

I put a pillow or blanket under the carrier because my car doesn't handle bumps well. I'm not sure if it's actually necessary or just me being crazy, but it seemed logical.

The carrier should be as small as possible and don't put any heavy items like hidey houses in there (if it's a cat carrier size) to ensure safety if you have to slam on the breaks - I wouldn't bother pulling over to offer food or water - they won't drink because they will be too consumed with "omg im in a carrier" to drink - just put a bottle on the carrier or cage as soon as you get there... I would however put in a haycube and possibly some pellets and a chew stick. I frequently travel 9hrs to shows and back so they should be just fine.

Back