4500$ Chinchilla @_@

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who here would not HONESTLY love to have an animal worth that much. No matter what anyone says I doubt they would turn down a chance to breed a chinchilla and make that much off the babies. Selling One for that price would pay for my herd for probably a good chunk of the year.......

personaly i find it dispicable that anyone would breed and sell pets jsut for profit, dispite the price.

every breeder hopes to make a little profit. what is so wrong with that? why shouldn't we be able to comfortably afford our animals by selling kits? If I didn't breed some and sell some kits I wouldn't be able to feed the chinchillas. sometimes after a few babies are sold I have the extra money to buy something for me or the baby that I wouldn't have otherwise or to buy the groceries when money is extra tight that week. How is it wrong for breeders to do that?

personaly i find it dispicable that anyone would breed and sell pets jsut for profit, dispite the price.

I will happily give my business to breeders who strive to produce good quality animals. Very few of them are able to live off the money they make from their chins, so yes, they do deserve the profit to put back into their herd or use however they see fit.

With that being said, my free chinchilla is just as cute and cuddly as any chin I've paid for. :tease:

I love the tails. Makes me chuckle because judges like to see a groomed animal on the show table. What do you do with this animal? Grab up the can of FINAL NET?? :hilarious:

For those of you too young to know what Final Net is......its hairspray.

Nothing wrong with making a profit. It's business. Simple as that.
Juanita your ear hair joke almost had me spewing coffee all over my screen this morning. Hee Hee

Alex - glad I could entertain you! I laugh every time I see these little critters. I personally think they are cute but there is no place on the show table for them

I know that this may irritate some members here, but I honestly think that most pet owners ( if you don't agree with the following then you're not one of them... ) have no clue what goes into breeding ( referring to responsible breeders not 20 in a super pet byb's) They "do the math" and figure oh, they get $125 per kit, and they have... 100 animals so they sell at least 200 kits at $125. Firstly not every kit survives, not every female litters, not every animal is sold, and some sell for as little as $35 if your wholesaling, even as low as $50 - $75 for pets. This year I've spent over $1800 on feed, not including hay or any supplements, I've spent over $4000 on animals and equipment a lot more if you include all of the costs in obtaining the said items and animals ( not average for me yearly, but this year offered some different oppurtunities), $30 per week in shavings, and in the summer due to cooling the chin house on top of my house my electric bill runs over $600, two months it was over $700 ( of course that includes all of our electric, not just cooling the chins). If I use the indoor propane heater in the chin house in the winter it runs me over $160 easy to keep it warm, and I'm talking 60 degrees warm ( welcome to -15 with a windchill of -40!).

I am going to guess that less than 5% of the people on this forum make any profit... especially off pets, because they usually sell for a lower price than breeders because of quality differences. I know this year I'm significantly in the hole...

Last edited:
yea, i figured some ppl wouldn't like what i said. Oh well'

The reason i don't like it, is because their are thousands of chinchillas (and all pets for that matter) that are looking for new homes. Chins that have to be given up or surrendered, ones living at shelters, or bad homes. Or any of a hundred different reasons.

With so many all ready here and desperate to find homes, i have a hard time excepting the idea of bringing more into the world for the sake of money for myself, and letting the other ones out their to continue suffering.

Its nothing against anyone here personally. Its just my opinion. Thats why i always personally look to take in an animal rather then buying for a store/breeder. And only 1 of my last 10 pets were from a store. (Ferret lost her companion and needed another one quickly. So wasn't much options at the time)

If all of the responsible breeders stopped breeding you think that would benefit the chinchilla as a whole in anyway?

Did you know that most of the chins you're talking about are culls? There was a time when chins were not pets, no one had to worry about things like that, because they were just pelted for scrap pelts if the quality wasn't good enough, now they're wholesaled instead, so irresponsible breeders can buy them from petstores and continue to reproduce chins with faults and health issues.

Now that I think about it... I'm going to quit breeding and spending money on quality healthy animals and just pick up ones from rescues... thanks for making me realize what an idiot I am.

And I think you're having a hard time accepting, not expecting, unless of course you haven't thought about it yet and are expecting to do so.... then you're cool.

I am all about animal rescue - my pit bull is a rescue, my cats are both rescued, I take in rescue chinchillas, foster dogs and oh yeah, I am the communications and development official at my local no-kill shelter. But I am not anti-breeder - if responsible individuals stopped breeding, all animals' quality would go down (and that benefits no one). A responsible breeder isn't necessarily doing it for the money, but rather for the love of the animal and the hopes of improving on that animal, but they aren't likely to complain if they bring in a little extra, either (I honestly wish I could bring in a little more, so the chins weren't so much of a drain on my currently tight budget).

It'd be nice to live in a world where there were no animals in need of a home, but 99% of the time, it is not the responsible breeders who bred those animals in need, it's the BYBs who ARE only in it for the money.

If all of the responsible breeders stopped breeding you think that would benefit the chinchilla as a whole in anyway?

you obviously missed the 'breed and sell pets jsut for profit' part of what i siad.

Im not attacking breeders here. I said that. It jsut pains me to see so many being given up. Expecaly in my area. Just the ones i see around here alone, i could open a zoo if i took them all in. (as if 10 animals wasnt getting close already lol)

And its a very sad fact then when ppl have to give up animlas and cant find anywhere/anyone to take them, bad things can happen. And (while maybe not here) their are some ppl out their that try to mate them strickly for the sake of trying to make a buck. And i find that dispicable.

and why must we fight can we just enjoy the pictures of the overpriced chinchillas in peace :)

Back