2010 California ECBC State Show

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDZCRanch

RavenousDeadlyZombieChins
You are Cordially Invited to Attend:
the

2010 ECBC California State Show
January 16-17, 2010
Santa Nella, California

Show Location:
Hotel de Oro
(Formerly Ramada Inn)
13070 State Hwy. 33
Santa Nella, CA 95322-9744
Phone Phone: (209) 826-4444
Room rate is $64 for 1 King or 2 Queen beds.
Make sure to request the Empress Chinchilla rate.

10-class Standard / Mutations Show Judged by by: Guillermo : Holzer &
Judge Trainee Trainee: Donna Read

: Entry Fee: $5.00 members / $7.50 non members
50/50 and Door Prize Raffle

Friday Night: Doors open 7:00pm - 9:00 pm for cooping of animals and
early registration. Hospitality room from 7:00pm - 9:00pm.

Saturday: 9:30 am - Mutation show
7:00 pm - Pizza Bash, $10/per person

Sunday: 9:30 am - Standard show

Grooming from 6:00 00am-9 am-9:00 :00am both days.
***No grooming will be permitted after 9:00 am.***

Contact show chairs Cara Beasley ( [email protected] com) or ) Tabitha
Hong ( [email protected] com) with any questions you may have.​

It's getting closer! I can't wait! Also I didn't get it included up there but we WILL be having junior breeder awards which are for ECBC members that have 7 years or less of ranching. ;)

I have a question about the state show. I am wanting to get a possible cage mate for my girl. It would only be a pet, so I obviously don't need show quality, but I'd love to be able to see which animal I like best and I'm interested in a few specific colors. Is the show something I should attend? Would I be able to purchase an animal at the show? Are there supplies for sale there also? Also, if there are chinchillas available for sale, are they often much more expensive at the show than buying them directly from the breeder?

I'm not sure how it works.... Sorry to sound ignorant.

It would be a great idea for you to attend! You don't sound ignorant at all...just curious! ;)

Most of the animals at the California shows will be for sale. The smaller breeders usually don't have a ton for sale but the larger ranchers and some of the larger breeders will have a good selection to choose from. If you let people know what you are looking for and your price range...they will help you pick something out. The prices at show can be very high but there are usually some pet quality chins or chins that don't show as well as the breeder thought they would that get sold to pet homes for a cheaper price.

There will be vendor tables. Pam Oldham is handling the renting of the tables. I know she will have some supplies as well as Danny Miller. I'm not sure who else will be there but we're hoping to get some suppliers in there to sell their goods as well.

If you know someone that is coming ahead of time you can always ask them to bring your items with them to save on freight cost.

Also I didn't get it included up there but we WILL be having junior breeder awards which are for ECBC members that have 7 years or less of ranching. ;)

I'm hoping to make it to at least one day of the show.

I don't even have seven years of owning pet chins, but I'm still curious how you decide the start date of being a rancher -- and what is included in the definition of "rancher."

Linda

I don't even have seven years of owning pet chins, but I'm still curious how you decide the start date of being a rancher -- and what is included in the definition of "rancher."

Linda

For the junior breeder awards, it is 7 years from when one first began breeding chinchillas. One doesn't necessarily have to be a rancher.

Linda

What Sumiko said and also we start not based on what year someone started breeding but the year they joined with Empress. That way we have a definite starting year for each person and since only members can receive the awards, we use their first year of membership.

Hoping to make it with Ronda and a full string of 40.

Will there be a "banquet"? I think I've recovered from the last one, viewing a potential one with a bit of trepidation.

Is the show something I should attend?
Definitely! They are boring if you don't have animals entered but very interesting before and after the show. I recommend coming before 9am during the grooming or after the show ends so you can ask questions and learn. After the show you will be able to handle the chins.

Would I be able to purchase an animal at the show?

Certainly, there is always the full gamut of animals available from pet only babies, retired breeders to the Grand show champ most years.

Also, if there are chinchillas available for sale, are they often much more expensive at the show than buying them directly from the breeder?
You would be buying them directly from the breeders. The GSC two years ago sold for $400, there were also some pets there for $60. It's safe to say that's your range. The difference is you have several hundred to observe and choose from, anyone who brings a full string (40) will have backup animals and many of the smaller breeders will bring along a few to sell.

If you want to experience showing a chin yourself, email Ronda ([email protected]) and she'll send you a list you can pick from. She'll bring the chin and you can groom it and enter it in the show.

If you want to learn how to groom, step right up, we've got fuzzy bodies for you. :D

Will there be a "banquet"? I think I've recovered from the last one, viewing a potential one with a bit of trepidation.

We wisened up this year! ;) No more food poisoning or worrying about how the food tastes! We're ordering pizza! So for as much pizza as you'd like and drinks it's going to be $10 per person versus the $32 per person for food poisoning or cold food or nasty food!

What Sumiko said and also we start not based on what year someone started breeding but the year they joined with Empress. That way we have a definite starting year for each person and since only members can receive the awards, we use their first year of membership.

So if I join Empress now before I start breeding, the clock will start? Conversely if someone delays joining Empress (say they move here but have been showing under the MCBA), they would be a junior breeder?

Perhaps you just evaluate each person on a case-by-case basis to see if they're an exception to the rule.

Linda

Perhaps you just evaluate each person on a case-by-case basis to see if they're an exception to the rule.

Exactly! If someone has no other way to show how long they're been breeding (like MCBA membership) then we use ECBC membership. For me I've personally been breeding for 7 to 8 years but I haven't been breeding for show or ranching for more than 3 years. So for junior breeder award I qualify for the next four years. So I guess we go by years towards breeding for show and we do that on a case by case basis.

Exactly! If someone has no other way to show how long they're been breeding (like MCBA membership) then we use ECBC membership. For me I've personally been breeding for 7 to 8 years but I haven't been breeding for show or ranching for more than 3 years. So for junior breeder award I qualify for the next four years. So I guess we go by years towards breeding for show and we do that on a case by case basis.

If that is the case, it sounds like it should be titled junior show breeder award. I could see this getting very subjective.

For me I've personally been breeding for 7 to 8 years but I haven't been breeding for show or ranching for more than 3 years.

It also sounds like you're equating breeding for show and being a rancher. Part of the reason I asked the question is that I'm still not sure what consitutes being a "rancher." I'm used to shows for smaller rodents (hamsters, rats and mice, etc.), and trying to understand the role of ranchers and exactly who is considered a rancher is not trivial.

I have to assume many if not most small show breeders would not be considered ranchers, but I'll admit I'm not entirely sure. Would someone who pelts always be considered a rancher? Who else would be a rancher? And do all ranchers show?

Linda

Whoo to the pizza! What about ice cream or cake? :D

A rancher is someone who raises for profit, wether it be pelting, wholesale or pets. Number of chins doesn't matter.

I have to assume many if not most small show breeders would not be considered ranchers, but I'll admit I'm not entirely sure.
lol, neither is anyone else. You are correct, most smaller "show breeders" probably don't consider themselves ranchers, but technically anyone who has a ranch brand is a rancher by USDA standards.

Would someone who pelts always be considered a rancher?
Yes, they are doing it for profit.

And do all ranchers show?
No, many do not.

Yes, I am planning/hoping to attend the show. I'm still working to schedule it, though.

And no, I don't plan to bring any chins. Not only will I be elsewhere where I can't keep the chins for the week before the show, but I don't have any chins at this point that would have any chance of placing at a show -- not that I personally care whether a chin I show placed while I'm in the learning process. I have two rescues and two pedigreed chins over 5 years of age (and oxidized).

I am looking to purchase a breeding pair/trio over the next six months or so. I'm evaluating options and looking around before purchasing, though. I'm not in a huge rush and am still learning chins. I've been a hamster judge for the past decade as well as a show breeder for longer than that, so I'm well versed on breeding for show, genetics, standards and standards development, etc. I just don't know chins and need some time to get up to speed plus some experience with a wider range of chins before deciding if I want to get further involved, at what level, and with what color combinations.

Linda

but I don't have any chins at this point that would have any chance of placing at a show
Linda, this is absolutely not true. :)) In the 8 shows I've been two only three animals have been off the table - two chewers and one with a runny eye.

Granted it isn't about placing, it is about learning what you have, and how to better it. Not all pet animals are bad, and in three generations you'll have a "complete" pedigree on the line. :D (Shhh... that's a secret)

Just for fun, I brought Gizmo, my mosaic girl (who I bought from a petstore) to my first show a few years ago. She ended up taking Class Champion. I brought her just for the whole grooming/showing experience and was very surprised that she surpassed all the other whites in the class.

I have one for sure that I'm bringing he's a year old now. The rest of them I'm not sure if I'll bring them since they are old. I keep bringing my old ones to the claiming shows.

Latest posts

Back