15 year-old chin with splenic tumor

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaJS

Hi, everyone.
I have a 15 year-old female chinchilla who has been diagnosed with a splenic tumor. She's been taking Tramadol for some months and her vet decided to increase her daily dose because she started feeling more pain (she usually starts pushing her belly against her cage floor and then she lies down).
She is still eating and sometimes you can't tell that she has a tumor, because she does everything that a healthy chin would do.
Even though she's taking 0.09 ml of Tramadol every 8 hours, she still feels pain. So that's my question: is there another medication that would make her pain go away or is this part of the process? I mean, considering that she is still active most of the time, will she feel pain because of her disease no matter what she takes? Or is there a better way to manage her pain? Any advice?
Thank you very much!
Amanda and Bia (my brave chinchilla) - Brazil

You can use metecam with the tramadol for effective pain relief without nasty side effects, you can also use buprenex which is a opiod-some chins do well on it without side effects, its strong pain relief, but some become nauseated and need anti nausea drugs also.

Thanks for your reply, Dawn!
Her vet visited us yesterday and she gave her Meloxicam (iv) and Plasil (iv). After that, she was able to sleep a little.
She felt much better after taking those meds : )
I just think that she didn't poop much today : /

The metecam (meloxicam) and the tramadol work synergistically-meaning that they have a increased intensity when used together than when used separately, the plasil is a drug that has the ingredients of reglan-that will help the digestive system to keep moving. Are you hand feeding?

Her vet will order Meloxicam at a vet drugstore for her. I think I'll receive it tomorrow.
She wasn't pooping before her vet appointment, that's why she was given Plasil. And it worked immediately : )
Since she wasn't pooping on monday, I tried to give her some Oxbow Critical Care (apple-banana) for the first time, she ate some but didn't seem to be impressed, hehe.
She eats Oxbow Senior Support everyday, she loves it, but only with raisins : ) It was so hard to get someone to send these products to Brazil, but then a very kind person sent them to me : )
She is eating on her own, even when she was not pooping, she was eating her pellets : ) that's why I'm not hand-feeding : )

Back