Show Off Your Critter Nations!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yes they love it, mine zooms around like a race car around the cage for 10-15 mins at a time! That extra few feet of length makes a big difference

I read that chins appreciate length just as much as height

Most cages are made tall vs wide cuz we, humans need our space too... So I choose to give them length and height! Yes the two levels will be joined they can play upstairs and downstairs

Cage add on unit should arrive in 5-10 days

Here's Lola's Critter Nation 2nd floor of the 2 story set up. Flooring and shelves are poplar.

Attachments

• LolasDiggsCWPost.jpg
    LolasDiggsCWPost.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 112
The Shelf

Yes, its poplar. My friend traced the plastic tray that goes on the removable shelf and made a wooden shelf the same size. To make it stay on the removable frame he cut a ridge around the edges so it sits in the frame like a muffin top. The wider edge sits on the frame and the balance on the shelf is in the lower open area underneth the ridge.

She does chew the wood shelves but I am going to have it fabricated out of granite so it can't be chewed.

I did put floor tile on the wood in areas because Lola is litter box tranined and the tile helps with clean up of the dust from the dust bath. She can also use it as a cooling block if needed.

ooooh!

Yes, its poplar. My friend traced the plastic tray that goes on the removable shelf and made a wooden shelf the same size. To make it stay on the removable frame he cut a ridge around the edges so it sits in the frame like a muffin top. The wider edge sits on the frame and the balance on the shelf is in the lower open area underneth the ridge.

She does chew the wood shelves but I am going to have it fabricated out of granite so it can't be chewed.

I did put floor tile on the wood in areas because Lola is litter box tranined and the tile helps with clean up of the dust from the dust bath. She can also use it as a cooling block if needed.

oh you so lucky!! do post a pic when you have the granite done, (is it expensive? to get that cut to size for a cage?)

Hello,
I am new to this forum but I am part of other chinchilla forums. Saw this thread and thought I would post pictures of my cage. Hope you like:
IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0164-1.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

I made all the pieces inside the cage myself. Hopefully, one day I will be able to sell them.

Here's mine. I want to put a wheel in, but I'm worried about the bars breaking (as they have in the past, with much lighter things attached). Anyone put a wheel in successfully without taking down a section of the cage with it?

pink_FN_top.jpg

Bottom
pink_FN_bottom.jpg

Hi,

I have the Chinspin 15" attached to the back wall of the lower level and do not have an issue with the cage bars breaking. The wheel has a very sturdy one piece bar system that attaches to the cage in four places like an "x".

I attach it instead of the "t" formation I do and "X" formation. One side of the attachment is right next to the vertical cross member bars and I put a large washer on each bolt inside and outside the cage.

It's been in the cage for 9 months now with no issue.

I have a flying saucer in a FN and have never had a problem with the bars breaking. I make sure that I'm securing it at bar crosspoints (vertical and horizontal intersections) for extra stability.

HEY! no showing off allowed!! (jk) I hope your able to sell the stuff you make at some point. I saw your youtube vid of this cage and was extremely impressed.

All of these cages look amazing! I'm so jealous! I never did any major changes to mine, but I'm so inspired now!

Where did you all get that fleece tunnel that you hang? My chins would ADORE that! :D

I got the fleece tunnel through Chinchillacity.com

Great resource and reasonable prices. Lola loves bopping through the tunnel and going into the hammock.

It was a great addition to her cage that I am pleased with.

Hi,

Not sure which Critter Nation you were refereing to regarding the Hay Bale being plastic. The one in Lola's cage is metal. I have ordered a hay bale made of poplar because of the hay dropping out the side of the cage but the wire rack is chin safe.

Not sure who's cage you were asking about the ply-wood but all Lola's shelves and floors are poplar. There are floor tiles in areas on top of the wood floors incase she has an accident. (Potty trained.)

I just redid Finley's cage, any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 30
Lindsey, you might want to take out that hammock and cube, the fuzzy stuff isn't made of chin safe materials. The only materials they can have in there cage is fleece. And it would be a good idea to take out the plastic in his cage too, like the hanging chain and food bowl :)

You might want to add more ledges and maybe a big hammock in the middle in case your little one falls of the bridge. The nice thing about CN is that you can put ledges on the doors, I love that feature! Other than that, it looks really nice! You did a great job putting it all together!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the suggestions, already have taken out the plastic things and replaced it with wood. The cube and the hammock he does not try chewing on or anything and has been sleeping in the cube, not sure what could hurt him with this especially since all he does is sleep in it and not chew on it. I am getting a hammock made for him so hopefully within the next few days he will have a big hammock so he doesn't get hurt if he would fall. He is absolutely loving his cage and having a ball running around everywhere.

Back