Your FAVOURITE book EVER?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macygray

aka. Chinnie Kisses.
Hey, I am getting back into reading and just dont know what to get after Stephenie Meyers Twilight series.

I am going to get The Host - By Stephenie Meyer anyway. And then was told on here, in chat that Gregory Maguire's Wicked books are good so might get those. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Whats you favourite ALL-time book you've read? What genre?

Thanks.

:hug2:

My favorite is "Watership Down" by Richard Adams.

It's a fiction about a group of rabbits who leave their warren for a new one. I read it way back when I was 10 or something and have loved it ever since. It's a long book, so not something typically read by a younger kid. :)

My absolute most favorite book of all time is Katherine by Anya Seton. It is not even close to the usual genre of books I read, SciFi/Mystery/Horror, but I could not put it down once I started reading it. I could read it over and over again, and I just love it! Katherine is part romance novel, part history book. Set in 14th century Europe, it is the true story of Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster.

And Alli, I agree with you that Watership Down is a fantastic read!

My all-time favorite is Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice :).

I like Philippa Gregory's Tudor books. The Constant Princess, The Other Boleyn Girl, The Boleyn Inheritance, The Queens' Fool, and The Virgin's Lover.

The Wicked books are good too, though I've only read two.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, followed by Cien años de soledad (I'm sure you could read that one in the original Spanish, as I did) by Gabriel García Marquez.

Mae as a very avid book reader (you know I read at least one book a day) I simply do not have 1 favorite. I read the romance genre but also sub genre's in the genre itself.

Best Contemporary:
Mouth to Mouth--Erin McCarthy--I re-read this at least once a month
See Jane Score--Rachel Gibson--again re-read at least one a month
Be My Baby--Susan Andersen
EVERYTHING by Toni Blake

Romantic suspense:
Dream Man--Linda Howard
Mr Perfect--Linda Howard
Dying to Please--Linda Howard
Shadow Dance--Susan Andersen

Romantic suspense/erotic
Caught & Kept--Jamie Alden--hands down winner--scorchingly great!

Historical Romance
Whitney My Love--Judith McNaught--you WILL need tissue

Erotica
Natural Law, Mirror of My Soul, Ice Queen--all by Joey Hill--she's the best also for Ice Queen and Mirror of My Soul you may need tissue

ANYTHING and I mean ANYTHING by Lacey Alexander!

My favorite works of Literature are:
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
East of Eden & Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
Picnic and Dark At The Top Of The Stairs by William Inge
Intruder in the Dust by William Faulkner

If I had to pick just one book from all of these, one book that would be the only book I could ever read again it would be Letters to a Stranger by Toni Blake

It's a fiction about a group of rabbits who leave their warren for a new one. I read it way back when I was 10 or something and have loved it ever since. It's a long book, so not something typically read by a younger kid. :)

Mine too!!!! I have loved that book since I was very young. I found out recently its a college reading book for English majors. But Yes I :heart3: Bigwig! He makes me so happy.

My Other Favorite Books are Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. And Guards Guards! By Terry Prachet. Pretty much anything by Terry Prachett because he makes me laugh so hard.

The Thief of Always by Clive Barker
It's a story about a bored kid who gets taken to a hidden Holiday House for kids only.They can have anything they want while there of course there is a hidden price !
It's kind of horror and fantasy.It's a very easy read.

Mine too!!!! I have loved that book since I was very young. I found out recently its a college reading book for English majors. But Yes I :heart3: Bigwig! He makes me so happy.

My favorite is Fiver :)

Oh, and I also really liked To Kill A Mockingbird. That one's a classic. And I liked Grapes of Wrath even though it is a bit depressing.

Same here! And I also read it for the first time at about age 10. I can't even count the number of times I used it for book reports over the years. :D

I also love the Chronicles of Narnia, as well as the first two books from C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra -- the third book in the trilogy, That Hideous Strength, is very dry and rather boring, but fortunately the first two books are just fine without it). One other series that I really, really like is Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. It's about a wizard who acts as a sort of P.I. in modern-day Chicago.

You know, I've never read Watership Down, but it was my favorite video to rent when I was a wee kid, I always picked it week after week when we went to the rental place. Eventually I got attached to a different film, and completely forgot about Watership Down, other than it being a cartoon with talking rabbits that I really liked. I tried for a long time to find it again but kept coming up with the Secret of NIMH, which obviously wasn't it. I was in my 20s before someone mentioned it in passing and it all clicked. =)

You know, I've never read Watership Down, but it was my favorite video to rent when I was a wee kid, I always picked it week after week when we went to the rental place. Eventually I got attached to a different film, and completely forgot about Watership Down, other than it being a cartoon with talking rabbits that I really liked. I tried for a long time to find it again but kept coming up with the Secret of NIMH, which obviously wasn't it. I was in my 20s before someone mentioned it in passing and it all clicked. =)

The book is 100 times better than the movie. (Incidentally, my mom would never let me rent Watership Down, the movie, when I was a little kid; she said it wasn't for little kids, which didn't make sense to me since it had bunnies on the box! Then when I got older, I was never able to find it in a video store. I finally downloaded it, and I was disappointed in it.)

I love to read and read alotttt but if I had to start life all over again and was only allowed to read one book it'd be 1984 by George Orwell.

I think that it is edcutational on a larger scale and allows you to open your mind and question the ways things are around you. This book is part of the reason for the person I am...

it's isn't a long read either so I highly suggest grabbing it one day :thumbsup:

Z for Zachariah by Robert O'Brien
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

They're both children's/teen books, but both left quite the impression on me when I first read them. Before them, I didn't know how powerful books could be. Enjoyable, yes; but powerful, no... not until then.

They're both good reads and still bring me to tears 20-some years after I first read them.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger; its a story of a man who has a disorder that tosses him around in time and how his life plays out with the love of his life. Sounds strange, and I normally don't get drawn to fantasy, but this book was the best. It's a bit on the long side, but it is a fantastic story, and it made me cry like crazy by the end.

I heard they're making it into a movie, though. That makes me sad, because I really love the characters I've got in my head and I don't think I'd be able to watch somebody else try and match them!

I don't know if I could pick a favorite. I love David Baldacci books, anything true crime, especially books about serial killers, Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. I loved the Chronicles of Narnia, and the Lord of the Rings books, Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons. Oh, and anything by H.G. Wells. Right now, though I just finished a collection of short stories by Stephen King, and now I am reading Conversations with God, by Neale Donald Walsch. Can you tell I like to read? hehe

Ha, I'm actually an English teacher (I taught AP Lit last year), so I have favorites depending on the genre:
Classical Literature
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen (a classic, comedic love story, and to top it off, the BBC version with Colin Firth ROCKS!)
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte (love, intrigue, a monster in the attic)
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley (a scary view of the future, part of which is already coming true!)
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee (If I were a lawyer, I would want to be Atticus Finch)

Historical Fiction
The Other Boleyn Girl - Phillipa Greggory (good read about Tudor England)
The Boleyn Inheritance - Phillipa Greggory (see above)
The Innocent Traitor - Allison Weir (good read, not so accurate)

Non-fiction
ANYTHING by Ann Rule (you will see serial killers EVERYWHERE!)
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier - Ishmael Beah (a true story about a boy soldier in Sierra Leone, from his time before being a soldier to his rehabilitation afterward - graphic and candid)

Contemporary
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (sad, but wonderful book)
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini (same as above, but better in my opinion)

Last edited:
Back