YOUR Brand?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthlyrose

So before I begin, let me be clear. I understand there is no "number one" brand of food. Chinchillas are individual and the best food for them depends on them.

However, I would love to know which brand *you* prefer! I bought some "Sunburst" Brand, which has a lot of pellets and whole grain, but after reading up it seems pure pellets is the way to go.

So I'm going to switch as soon as I can, but I'm not sure which brand I want to try, or where to find the top 3 brands. It seems those would be Oxbow, Mazuri, and Tradition.

I'm leaning towards Oxbow, it seems to be the most popular, Mazuri coming second. I am a little skeptical about tradition. The nutrition analysis weirds me out I guess. But nevertheless, please, give me your opinion. What is your favorite brand? What do you use?

I've also heard using certain rabbit food brands works as well. So tell me your secret!

This goes for treats, hay, whatever nutrition you like to give your chin! Tell me what's up ;)

I feed oxbow, but use to feed Mazuri when I had chins as a kid. My main reason for the switch is I can get oxbow at pet stores here were as Mazuri would have to be ordered online and shipped to me.

I prefer Oxbow, out of convenience like Amethyst said, its easier to get ahold of, but the breeder I received my chin from used Mazuri! She helped me transition him off of it onto what I planned on using.

I feed Tradition, but I tend to fail miserably at ordering it on time, so I've done quite a few cold switches to Oxbow and then back again without any issues. Mazuri gave one of my chins soft poo when he was younger, so I'm wary of that one.

I also feed Oxbow Timothy Hay and will incorporate some Orchard Grass every few months for a little variety. I tried the botanical hay once, but it wasn't well received.

Every morning I give them a handful of wood and the Broad Spectrum Supplement from Fuzzies Kingdom (this stuff is chinchilla crack). A few nights each week I alternate between a pinch of old fashioned oats, and a cube of shredded wheat. Two like Cheerios, while the other two do not, so I have them on hand, but usually wind up throwing them out once they go stale.

I've tried many brands over the years. Some were excellent feeds, just hard to get regularly. THAT is a BIG consideration...can you get the feed reliably?

Over the years let's see:

Mazuri- mostly an alright feed but some of my animals got soft stool that would NOT clear up and lost weight from it until switching to a different feed

Blue Seal Show Hutch Delux- great feed, animals did very well on it, gained weight and maintained weight very well but it was hard to find fresh & some people do not like extruded feed (I felt comfortable with it)

MannaPro PRO- this feed was okay for a LONG time. Animals did very well on it but after a long time something changed. A LOT of people were having issues with it (and still are to my knowledge) so I switched

Purina Rabbit Chow Show- this is my current feed, I like it, my chins like it...it's not exactly EASY to get where I live but it's not hard either.

I think, unless you find an absolutely great feed...that never changes their formula...and is carried by a source that will never go out of business...you may find your feed needing changed eventually :)

I am using mazuri and brytin. The girls have put on a ton of weight since switching to half brytin half mazuri.

I feed Oxbow brand (both hay and pellet). Compared to other brands, the quality looks better + Eli is less picky with it, so I guess that means it tastes better too. :))

I feed mine Science Selective Chinchilla pellets. Oxbow stuff is extremly pricey over here and therefore too expensive to use.

I used to do Oxbow but it was very pricey after I got my fourth chinchilla. I now use Manna PRO SHO, I've never had a problem and we also own a large rabbit(who was on Oxbow as well) so we split the food up and freeze what we don't use right away.

Oxbow Essentials for pellets, and Small Pet Select Timothy hay. Just recently started getting hay from there because my chin wouldn't eat hay from pet stores. It's incredible hay, sweet and fresh smelling.

For treats my boy gets chew sticks, Cheerios, organic raw rolled oats, rose hips, and rose buds.

Today he goes to the vet for a check up on a couple of tooth spurs. I'm really anxious.

If anyone wants to try small pet select here's a coupon for $10 off:

http://smallpetselect.refr.cc/FVRP3D5

(It's a referral code that also gives the one who posts it $10 off, so if this isn't allowed please delete post. Thanks)

You can also google small pet select coupon codes and most of the time something will come up for you. :)

Back