You Know You're A Chinchilla Owner When...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You actually tasted critical care
You enjoy the smell of hay in your car
Poo on the kitchen floor does not bother you
The chinchillas fleece beds are washed more often then your sheets

When you purchase a new water bottle and you obsessively check on it every 5 minutes to make sure it's dispensing water properly

When you walk barefoot around the house and you get a chinchilla poop stuck to your foot

When you spend hours researching a new toy or treat just to make sure it really is chin-safe

You have chinchilla cookie cutters and use them
I need these, where did you get them?

1.) When people start talking about their children and you(not having children like me) bring up your chinchilla. In general a lot of conversations you find can be twisted to include chinchillas.
2.)When someone is chin-sitting and you have to ask,"How does their poop look?" and you make them describe in detail.
3.)You have to introduce people to the chinchillas because they are part of your family too.
4.)You have a little extra cash to spend and you immediately look at more toys or cage accessories.
5.)When someone asks, "What's that powder on your pants?"
"Oh, my babies had bath time today." and you casually brush it off.

When they escape in the middle of the night you find them jumping around your bed and get woken up by it.

Just happened to us lol We converted an aviary, 30x20x48", previously used as a sugar glider cage in to a temp chinchilla cage. Forgot it has spring loaded swing open side doors instead of the usual heavy slide up doors. Hachiro figured this out night 2 of being separated from her kits. My husband woke up to paws on his face and had to put her back with her kits until I could find clips for all the doors.

I also frequently call back to someone barking by name.

When you are being intimate with your spouse and you take your bra off all seductive like... to find out you have a chin poo stuck to your skin.

When your wedding a hoodie sweater and your waking through wal Mart... you reach in your hoodie pocket to get your wallet and you pull out a piece of pine bedding and a poop

I need these, where did you get them?

1.) When people start talking about their children and you(not having children like me) bring up your chinchilla. In general a lot of conversations you find can be twisted to include chinchillas.
2.)When someone is chin-sitting and you have to ask,"How does their poop look?" and you make them describe in detail.
3.)You have to introduce people to the chinchillas because they are part of your family too.
4.)You have a little extra cash to spend and you immediately look at more toys or cage accessories.
5.)When someone asks, "What's that powder on your pants?"
"Oh, my babies had bath time today." and you casually brush it off.

Shoots has them, here is the link!

http://www.shootschinchilla.com/miscellaneous-for-sale.htm

You torment in-laws you don't like at family gatherings by showing everyone else your chin pics on your cell phone but manage to covertly keep them from even touching your phone much less seeing pics!!LOL!!Going on a whole week soon! Don't ask.

You refer to the dust covering your coffee table as "protective coating", and insist the dust keeps all forms of insects and pests away.

(Despite dusting several times a week...everyone needs a little excuse when company comes over...)

When you start coming home on your lunch break to check on the little ones, despite having an empty pantry & nothing for yourself to eat!

You start calling the dust on your walls,furniture,floor as "diatomaceous earth that is actually helpful in repelling insects and fleas so please do not remove all my layers of protective dust"! Secret here is you've only ever used Blue Cloud and chins are in a different room you just hate to dust!

1. Your chinchillas eat better than you ever will.
  2. You've changed the soap you use because the chins are repelled by the smell.
  3. You have specific cleaning supplies used only for chins.
  4. You've at least attempted to train your other pets to stay away from the chinchillas or risk certain death.
  5. When that failed, you moved and made sure the chins had their own room.
  6. Your friends ask how the chins are handling "it" anytime a life change occurs.
  7. You see a picture of a really young kit online eating treats and your first thought is "TOO YOUNG" rather than "TOO CUTE."
  8. Your vet praises you for being so knowledgeable and involved in the care of your furkids.
  9. You're afraid to take a vacation longer than a week during the summer months.
  10. Just "in case," you hand the caretaker a custom-made booklet detailing the procedures of handling any potential issue that might arise.

You use a ShopVac to dust.

Yes, I do hate to dust...but I have gotten so good at it! :) You know, I don't have any insects in my house and I haven't for years. The only bugs that I see that seem to live are small moths but I am sure that's because they like the fur that settles behind everything. They vacuum up easily when I get out the shopvac to clean up everything.

Uhm, I want a chinchilla iphone holder and keychain!!

hahahah same here. My chinchilla is my baby so I want everything that reminds me of him. The ONLY thing that I found that is chinchilla related and easy to find is if you search Totoro. Apparently it's a chinchilla cartoon. I searched this iphone holder and got it off ebay along with the headcushion. it really does look like a chinchilla just in cartoon form. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251423774506?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 <-head cushion and iphone 5 cushion http://www.ebay.com/itm/400641291324?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

1.) When you spend hundreds of dollars on your one chinchilla, way more you'll ever spend on your dog.
2.) When you constantly obsess over the temperature and making sure the air conditioner is on along with icecubs and frozen bottles
3.) When you have a chinchilla head cushion for your car and a chinchilla decal and a chinchilla shrine in your room and a chinchilla iphone holder, and a keychain.
4.) When you would do anything for you chinchilla including making 2 stops at Safeway just for infant gas drops and raisins to help with constipation/bloating.
5.) When you would rush him to the vet in the middle of the day making your mom go calling 11-25 vets
6.) When you would take him on the plane with you over 6 times because you can't ever leave him behind
7.) When you constantly worry while you're gone and obsess over him
8.) When you buy organic wood, herbs, cookies, treats, food, and hay for your chinchilla every month
9.) When you have chinchilla chew marks all over the house during the times he has escaped
10.) When you are so good with him, you can catch him in a heartbeat while no one including the vet can
11.) When you research like forever about chinchilla related things making sure everything is safe double checking with multiple chinchilla websites
12.) When you have all the chinchilla top shopping sites memorized/bookmarked
13.) When you are a member of the chins-n-hedgies forum and a member of the "Ferret Nation club" which you saw and bought after seeing the thread
14.) When your vet praises you for knowing so much about the medicine
15.) When half the laundry room is used for chinchilla supplies
16.) When there's poop and hay everywhere found, and you use the small vacuum that's convenient and clog it all up constantly because of wood pieces
17.) When your dog knows your chinchilla is spoiled rotten and special so doesn't bother attacking
18.) When your dog submits to your king chinchilla and he's dominant over her
19.) When you have a Got chinchilla? Decal for your car
20.) When you have tons of pictures of him, and celebrate his birthday and Christmas first
21.) When you had him for 8 years and he recognizes your voice and knows the phrases, "Dust Bath" which he comes running/jumping and "treats'
22.) When you have a bond like no other with him, and he doesn't bite me hard ever hardly and it never hurts, he is so gentle and loves me too
23.) When you obsess and get mad if anyone sprays anything harmful near him even if theres ants in the laundry room you simply will never let anything be sprayed including febreeze
24.) When after having a chinchilla, you have this special bond and love for all rodents and every rodent reminds you of your chinchilla even a squirrel reminding yourself they're part of the rodent family
25.) When you worry constantly while on vacation and write a page of specific directions on feeding him and print it twice and tape it in two different locations just in case the petsitter forgets. You call constantly to make sure he's well, and don't like going on long vacations all because of leaving your chinchilla behind.

Last edited:
I love these! Some made me chuckle! I so get excited when their package comes or when I buy them something new :)

Your chinchillas eat better than you ever will.
SO TRUE!

1. When you try hard to not laugh when someone asks you if chinchillas bathe in water

2. When you have company sleep over your house and they complain that the chinchillas make too much noise at night time and you're just like "My house, my chinchillas...DEAL WITH IT!"

3. When you know your chinchilla's favorite radio stations

:laughitup: i dont even no where to start lol

[*]You have specific cleaning supplies used only for chins.
The only reason i ever bought vinegar for.

[*]You've at least attempted to train your other pets to stay away from the chinchillas or risk certain death.
[*]When that failed, you moved and made sure the chins had their own room.
having to move soon to a house with 2 small dogs. So i made sure my chins have there own little room to keep the dogs away from them

[*]Your friends ask how the chins are handling "it" anytime a life change occurs.
father died, and i have ppl asking how the chins are doing with it.

[*]You see a picture of a really young kit online eating treats and your first thought is "TOO YOUNG" rather than "TOO CUTE."
Kinda concerns me now. Anytime i see something like that my first thought is always judgmental/critical if i see something being done that shouldn't be; instead of how cute the chin actually is'

[*]Your vet praises you for being so knowledgeable and involved in the care of your furkids.
Kinda the opposite. When i mentioned i tasted a ever so small dab of my chins medicine, he just stared at me for a moment... :wacko:

[*]You're afraid to take a vacation longer than a week during the summer months.
Im afraid to go somewhere over night and leave my chins alone :(

[*]Just "in case," you hand the caretaker a custom-made booklet detailing the procedures of handling any potential issue that might arise.
Ive been wanting to make a full document about all the chin knowledge i can get along with all the personal knowledge about my chins personally. As well as make a video containing it all. (Which will be hard cause i don't like my picture taken much less video.)

Back