You Know You Own/Are owned by Chinchillas When...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you have something you call your "chinchilla voice" that you use when you address them

when you call them your babies to other people and they look at you as if thinking "i didnt know she had kids"... and you have to explain that they arent human ones

You know your owned by Chinchillas when:
1. Jack stands with his feet stuck through the bars waiting for his feet to be kissed.
2. Your dining room has nothing but chins and supplies.
3. You lay down with a dying kit under your shirt singing soft songs until they pass on.
4. You hurt everywhere from harvesting, scrubbing and cutting apple wood for days.
5. The thought runs through your head that you kiss rodents.
6. You go out of your way to return to the chin who is running back and forth talking to you so you can bend to him/her and listen to a "mutter story"
7. You get on your knees for a chin who is waiting for a scratch.

You know you own a Chin when:
1. It's easier to refer to them as rodents vs explaining what a chin is to a non chin owner.
2. You don't blink an eye when a poo makes it to the second story of your house and the chins are downstairs.
3. Books, furniture and base boards have been chewed by the HOUSE BEAVERS.
4. When you buy air filters in bulk.
5. You are amazed by a chin hair "tumble weed" that rolls past your feet from time to time.

...when you bore all your co-workers with your cute chin stories and extensive chin knowledge LOL

you know you're owned by chinchillas when...
95% of the the money in your wallet is spent on them.
you use the sewing machine only to make them stuff!
more than half of your room is a chin play heaven.
you're wearing pants and a sweater in summer, because you've got the AC down to 65 for the chins!

you know you own chinchillas when...
the idea of poop on the floor doesn't even phase you anymore, but it grosses your family out.
trips to home depot excite you because you can get more pine for them.
the only thing you've carried over 50 lbs was a gaint bag of chin food.

:heart: grace + noelle

Last edited:
When you have had a bad day, you don't go to your daddy or husband or girlfriend etc. for comfort, but just watch your chins play for a bit and feel all better:heart3:

This is so, SO true!!! I will spend hours just sitting next my chin's cage. I love just watching them. There is something uplifting and calming at the same time about it!

You ignore the dirty dishes and spend hours creating a play area out of cardboard boxes

OMG so true!!!!!!! It's really ridiculous! Except I can add a whole laundry list of others things I SHOULD be doing as well lol Like a term paper :duh:

You know when you are owned by a xhin when your husband surprises you with a romantic bedroom surprise (complete with candles and turning the heater up a bit so everyone stays plenty warm) and your first thing you say is "it's probably too warm in here for Sadie we should move her somewhere cooler."

you drink tap water because the filtered water is for the chins!

ROFL!!!!!! :rofl: These are TOO funny because I would do the same exact thing!!!!!

You know you are owned by your chin when...

... you take on a SECOND job (in addition to your first one, going to school full time, and volunteering) teaching ungraduates accounting because you want to buy your chins a new cage (even though the old one is perfectly fine!)

... you stay up till 3:30am staring at the chins cage because they did something cute 6 1/2 hours ago and you want to see them do it again (oh yeah and you have an 8 o'clock class!)

... you've considered getting a lock on your chins cage so no one can get to them because you don't trust your friends

... you have thought about and completely mapped out how to protect your chins if a psycho-killer breaks in.. complete with a hidden box area and sacrificing yourself (I know... I'm crazy!)

... you're always at least an hour later than you planned to be going to bed/having a shower/finishing laundry b/c "Oh, we'll have just a little more playtime first. Yes, we will! Mommy doesn't want to disturb the Fuzzy Butt while he's grooming Mommy's hair! No she doesn't! She sure doesn't!"

..when your boyfriend calls you at work with an "emergency" only to tell you he found poo in the pockets of his ACUs after spending a weekend at your house :)

....when you would rather spend your money fixing a medical problem with your chin rather than yourself.

...when you come home and the boyfriend is watching TV and you say "hey baby" and he says "Hey sweetie" and you reply "I was talking to the chinchilla" :laughitup:

Just seeing poo flung all over your livingroom really doesn't faze you a single bit!

You also know you're owned by chinchillas when after cage cleaning and dust baths you sneeze your head off for 3 solid hours, but still want to get kisses from the cage bars!

Oh, I definitely have to agree with that last part right there, Lan. I actually am starting to ENJOY the sneezes now! I suppose that's a way you know, too, so...

You know you own a chinchilla when you start to ENJOY the endless sneezing their bath-time causes!

....you browse yahoo answers looking for questions about chinchillas just to refer them to this site

....when you go shopping, you have to reason with yourself that you dont need (insert food item here) because your chin needs some more chew toys instead (im a college kid)

....the chin cage is next to your mirror and while getting dressed in the morning you ask "how do i look" to a chin whos standing on the top shelf looking at you

....your own roommates tell you "gizmo wants his mommy, hes making noises for play time"

....you sing to them cuz they do more popcorns that way

(i only have 2 months experience with this hehe)

You know you're owned by your chinchillas when you are looking for a place to rent/buy, you make sure it has a good sized room just for your chinchillas to play...:angel:

agreed! i just did that yesterday. the room is huge and has both carpet and tile! we'll still be roommates but he can wall surf til his heart's content!

-when you've fallen in love with home depot just because they have KD pine to build something super cool for your chins
-when you're boyfriend is jealous of your chins
-when your chin chews up your new Kathy Van Zeeland purse and you film it because its cute (I love Kingston ^_^ )

Just had to add this one cause it just happened and it was too good to pass up sharing

.. When you don't refer to them as "my chinchilla" when talking to new people. You use their name and talk about them like they are people.

I was talking to a patient today and she asked me how I was and I said, "fine, just tired" She proceeded to ask why and I told her "Bryson kept me up all last night" She replied with, "Oh, is Bryson your son?" And not even thinking I said "Yes", and showed her his picture on my phone. She looked very puzzled when she saw it was a furry rodent instead of a child. She was very quick to change the subject after that.

....when you are cooking some rice for dinner and notice that a little bit of timothy hay is floating on the top of the boiling water. (Hey, it must have fallen off my head or something because it was stuck in my hair?)

Brittney...that's cute about Bryson. I've done the same thing a few times without even thinking. I call the chins my babies all the time. Normal people get confused.

Last edited:
....When you're showering...you notice chin poo sitting quietly next to your shampoo bottles.

....When you sleep with long pants, long sleeves and 3 blankets to keep warm so the chins can be cool!

Seriously, everywhere I go I leave small traces of chinchilla....There are small flakes of pine shavings littered around outside my apartment door, I am not kidding.

.. When your ideal Friday night is spent giving longer playtime

.. When you know zilch about sewing but would attempt to sew the liners and curse half of the time

.. When you plant your own apple and pear trees not for the fruits but just so you can prepare your own wood in the future

.. When you tell your guests that your chins' poops are clean

.. You feel like you hit the lotto finding the last 50lb bag of Blue Cloud Dust at the local feed store

.. You force your guests to memorize the names of all of your chins

.. you no longer have interests in anything else that has nothing to do with chins

...when asked "How do you tell them apart?" you go on a 5 minute catalogue of all the similarities and differences... but you're the only person in the house that notices them. (I have 2 male standards, one more a Brevi type and the other more Lanigera or Costina looking. People think I'm nuts when I say that Cervantes has a Roman nose. X-D)

Back