You Know You Own/Are owned by Chinchillas When...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you get a new Oreck vacuum for an anniversary gift and its just what I wanted(and first thing I do is vacuum around the chin cages). Or when I go to a garage sale and see a nice looking fleece blanket and think "hmmmm I could make hammocks out of that" and its only 50 cents!

Or when you have to sweep up the hay just to vacuum the floor!!

Or how they always find tissues...from where I know not, but I'm sure I didn't leave any laying around...I think they hoard them and pull them out just to mess with me.

You use your shop vac more often than you use your dishwasher.

Vinegar has become one of the most important liquids in your house.

You see a tangle of grape vine from the road and wonder if they've ever been sprayed/if the owner would let you cut some.

You go to apple orchards not for the apples, but to see if they have any unsprayed trimmings they'd "donate."

Every time you walk through a store something catches your eye that could have a second life as some sort of chin item.

You tell your guests to "please be quiet, the chins are sleeping."

You are able to turn ANY conversation into something involving chins.

Your nighttime lullabye has become the sound of a flying saucer going full speed, accompanied by cage rattlings andthe sounds of wood being chewed..

Your entire floor plan is dependant on it being "chinchilla-proof" (up to and including cords on the walls at eye level and cardboard corner-protectors)

You sit still and quiet for an hour in hopes that your new chinchilla will come up to you

You learn how to use an entirely new set of power tools just to make a hidey-house

You can clean your house for hours and still find mystery poos just sitting in the middle of the floor

You ignore the dirty dishes and spend hours creating a play area out of cardboard boxes

You get up just before the sun rises cuz you know it's your Chin's favorite time to play :heart3:

You find poops in the bed covers ..and you can actually ring the waste basket from the other side of the room ....in the middle of the night! LOL

I'm sure there's more ..some were already mentioned... and I am sooo going to get the "baby books" out for their next play time. Phoenix really likes it when I sing little diddies to him ..so he'll probably like nursery rhymes, too. :wink3:

You know you're owned by your chinchillas when you are looking for a place to rent/buy, you make sure it has a good sized room just for your chinchillas to play...:angel:

You know you own chinchillas when you are on a cruise and have stopped in Puerto Rico from the day, are walking down the street with your family and feel something hard in your shoe. Thinking it's a rock you bend down to get it out and discover a chin poo! Then you analyze it for ten minutes to see who it belongs to, discover it's one of Orville's poo and get all giddy and excited because you think he didn't want to you to forget him!! (TOTALLY happened...my family thought I was nuts, lol

You know you are owned by chinchillas when you have totally given up on your wardrobe/going to the mall in order to save all "fun" money for getting new chins or chin supplies.

You try to avoid white or black clothes because they show too much fur, and if you have to wear something black then you keep it in the dark recesses of your closet and pull it out to put it on just before you head out the door.

When you get to work and have to clean the dust off the dress heels since the shoe organizer hangs on the chin's door. . .

PS - Thanks chins for letting me hang my shoes in your room.

When you have 400 photos of your chins and only 150 photos of your kids.

When, after playtime, you go to take a shower and poo falls out of your bra (this REALLY DOES happen...ALOT!)

When the first thing you tell your guests is "the babies are playing so you can't 'walk' in the living room, you have to 'shuffle'"

You know when you are owned by a xhin when your husband surprises you with a romantic bedroom surprise (complete with candles and turning the heater up a bit so everyone stays plenty warm) and your first thing you say is "it's probably too warm in here for Sadie we should move her somewhere cooler."

When you order/request something for your chins as a "birthday present" to yourself!

When you have to explain to your professors that your chinchilla ate your homework

when you find poop in your statistics binder

Back