Yay! A successful Quad (so far)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyBug

Sometimes I love too much
We introduced our two Arlington chinnies to our two standard girls. We did the cage-within-a-cage method for almost a week (more out of being overly cautious than their not getting along). Friday afternoon, after they had a complete day and night of getting along, we set up their FN142 cage with all of their new stuff (clean wood houses, freshly washed fleece items). We watched them carefully, and lo and behold, we saw grooming!! They all cuddle in a chinnie pile, and they share their food really well. We are so happy that this is working out, but we are still keeping a close eye out for any tension or issues!

Yay for successful intros!! :D

Four isn't too hard. :p Congrats. I love having females together in cages with four or more. They really learn to take care of each other and they are generally extraordinarily happy.

I have this one cage of old girls (12 to 16 years old) and all five of them are in love with each other (in a friend/sister way!) They groom and cuddle and protect, it's inspired... EXCEPT when they shreddies come out and then it's every old girl for herself. :rolleyes:

Part of the reason we think it worked was because the Nova and Pele are so young and Daisy and Peach are around 4 or 5 years old. We never saw any sort of real aggression - just spraying, kacking and a little fur pulling - so we think that Daisy and Peach were just laying down who was boss!

Here is their setup. This pic doesn't really show the togetherness, but they are still getting used to their new home! They have plenty of houses and a nice wheel (which Nova and Pele don't understand yet), and we even have another wheel if anyone gets possessive.

DSCN1848.jpg

This pic shows a little more of the family unit. Nova is the ebony, Pele is the black velvet, Daisy is the long-tailed standard, and Peach is the short-tailed standard.

DSCN1849.jpg

I have been checking on them throughout the day, and so far, so good!! :)

Congrats! I really hope that it works out. I only have one quad myself, and it was a honest fluke that they worked out. I had females in their run holes and one of the females decided to visit the other (with her collar still on, mind you!) and I found the two females and the male loving on each other in the back of a run hole. I almost crapped myself. Luckily they got along just fine and I added another female later on with no issues. On the other hand, I've had some serious problems with pairs and trios before, so I think I just lucked up.

I used show cages, but I took EVERYTHING out of their cage other than food and water. They don't have any sort of retreat, which forces them to interact.

If one of your chin's tails has been bloodied, I'm not sure if the intro will work. Usually if blood is drawn, he chins are not compatible. I could be wrong about this, though.

Best of luck! :)

I've got a Ryerson show cage coming to help assist with an eventual introduction; however, I still have 23 or so days of quarantine left on our new female.

Back