would these items be safe

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigelAndPeanut

found these PetSmart brand full cheeks ( used to be tiny tales) toys for small animals as well as all living things brand they are really cute and well priced however while they look safe to me I would like some other opinions. I have bought some full cheeks toys before along with a bed (which I will share a picture of below) but they were just sticks and a willow ball.

here are the links to the items on Petsmart

https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...-small-pet-loofa-burger-kabob-chew-68310.html Cheeseburger

https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...rade-popcorn-small-pet-loofah-chew-51412.html Popcorn

https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...et-taco-party-loofa-and-wood-chews-68302.html Taco and hot sauce

The bed isn't really safe either, even if it's anti pill fleece fabric (which it looks to be) the stuffing is likely not. If the chin decides to chew a hole in the bed (or it rips somehow) and swallows the stuffing it can cause the chin to choke or cause a gut blockage. Assuming it is made of fleece, you can make it safe by removing the stuffing and refilling with fleece scraps.

Those are super cute! As Amethyst said, so long as they're just wood and loofah, they should be safe. It looks like the popcorn container might be paper/cardboard? If so, you could give them the loofah "popcorn," but not the cardboard container.

The metal kabob part on the burger looks like it might even be reusable! I got something similar with some wood chews, and I re-use the kabobs to string on other toys to create my own combinations of hanging toys. It makes it really easy to swap out her hanging toys frequently to give her more variety. :)

The bed isn't really safe either, even if it's anti pill fleece fabric (which it looks to be) the stuffing is likely not. If the chin decides to chew a hole in the bed (or it rips somehow) and swallows the stuffing it can cause the chin to choke or cause a gut blockage. Assuming it is made of fleece, you can make it safe by removing the stuffing and refilling with fleece scraps.
Thankyou I hadn't realized that. I will be sure to keep a closer eye on him as it is his favorite spot.

Those are super cute! As Amethyst said, so long as they're just wood and loofah, they should be safe. It looks like the popcorn container might be paper/cardboard? If so, you could give them the loofah "popcorn," but not the cardboard container.

The metal kabob part on the burger looks like it might even be reusable! I got something similar with some wood chews, and I re-use the kabobs to string on other toys to create my own combinations of hanging toys. It makes it really easy to swap out her hanging toys frequently to give her more variety. :)
Thats a great idea.

How does one verify this? I grabbed a Full Cheeks brand Hideaway on clearance at PetSmart and all it says is "Fir Wood." It MUST be held together with something. There is no other information. Should I just take it back? Better safe.
the item...
https://www.petsmart.com/featured-b...dmill-68284.html?cgid=60022504&fmethod=Browse
Mostly look at it, for example the taco loofah thing you can look and see if you see globs of glue (which it likely has or it would just fall apart). That house is not safe just from being made a fir alone, fir is not a chin safe wood. Also unless you linked the wrong one it's also nowhere near big enough for a chin, it's for much smaller animals like hamsters, gerbils and mice. I don't have the ablity to go to PetSmart to physically see it, but the other way to hold huts together is using pegs in holes, but zooming in I don't see those along the edge so it's likely glued. The problem with glue even if it's nontoxic is you don't want the chin to swallow a glob of it. If used sparingly a small smear of glue is fine but swallowing a solid glob of glue could be a choking hazard or cause a blockage and toys commonly aren't glued carefully together since they are mass produced so globs of glue are common.

Mostly look at it, for example the taco loofah thing you can look and see if you see globs of glue (which it likely has or it would just fall apart). That house is not safe just from being made a fir alone, fir is not a chin safe wood. Also unless you linked the wrong one it's also nowhere near big enough for a chin, it's for much smaller animals like hamsters, gerbils and mice. I don't have the ablity to go to PetSmart to physically see it, but the other way to hold huts together is using pegs in holes, but zooming in I don't see those along the edge so it's likely glued. The problem with glue even if it's nontoxic is you don't want the chin to swallow a glob of it. If used sparingly a small smear of glue is fine but swallowing a solid glob of glue could be a choking hazard or cause a blockage and toys commonly aren't glued carefully together since they are mass produced so globs of glue are common.
THANK YOU!
I have found fir wood on both the safe for and not safe for chins lists but even if fir was FOR SURE safe, this is definitely glued and will be returned.
Much appreciated!

Back