Worried!! Missing Fur

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchinchin8

Hello! one of my boys is missing a lot of hair by his hip/back. also, two ugly scabs the size of dimes. I immediately assume he was bored or depressed, picking his own fur to the point of bleeding. I gave him a huge dust bath, and slept on it. The only negative display is boredom, other than that happy and playful. Now I am worried after researching that he could have Ringworm, or some other type of contagious irritation. I haven't really been able to eliminate anything but fighting. Would a chinchilla gnaw/chew/self hurt to this point? Is this a case of ringworm? I don't know what to do!!

These pictures will reveal more than I can explain.
http://imgur.com/a/9GPFO

I have no experience with that, but if it appeared on any of my chins, they'd definitely have a vet visit in their immediate future.

Are your boy's sharing a cage? It looks like a bite wound to me. Fur chewing does not leave bald spots- it leaves a very jagged darker area of cropped fur. And if fur was pulled out it would not cause bleeding- chins slip their fur and it is rather painless. The wound itself looks too wet to me to be ringworm. And it looks like upper and lower teeth punctures. Do you have any blue-kote you can put on it? It would help clean the wound and dry it out a bit. It could abcess though so I think a vet visit is probably in order.

Oh and no more dust bath until healed. You don't want any getting into the wound bed. Would be irritating and cause an infection.

I looked at the pic again and just to clarify it does look like he chewed his fur around it a tad and hard to tell if he pulled out hair or if it fell out but that's fairly common with wounds and makes it easier for you to clean and keep an eye on. Hopefully he isn't fussing over it too much. I would blue-kote twice a day and try to get them scabbed up better. Hopefully that helps a bit.

Back